Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Salt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A while ago we started using salt crystals that you need to grind as there's no added chemicals and you seem to get a lot more salty taste for less salt, but why is there such a difference in price.

Bought some Saxa rock salt a while ago and was £1.09p for 250g, yesterday bought some Saxa sea salt that was 75p for 500g.

Anyone know why such a difference in price ?

Comments

• Options
    perhaps there's more sea than rock? :p
    [/sarcasm]
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    perhaps there's more sea than rock? :p
    [/sarcasm]

Thats crap lol.
  • Options
    Its just where its from, rock salt is mined isnt it? Where as sea salt is made by salt pans.

Weight for weight they are very likely to have the same amount of sodium.
  • Options
    mm I love rock salt
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its just where its from, rock salt is mined isnt it? Where as sea salt is made by salt pans.

Weight for weight they are very likely to have the same amount of sodium.

I think (not 10% sure) that rock salt is made in salt pans, they make it in PeruI know that for sure. They're like these pools where people go in and filter the salt out with sieves.

Sea salt I'd imagine is collected by machines or something. Plus I'm sure you can manufacture seasalt here, whereas rock salt possibly has t be imported?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I think (not 10% sure) that rock salt is made in salt pans, they make it in PeruI know that for sure. They're like these pools where people go in and filter the salt out with sieves.

Sea salt I'd imagine is collected by machines or something. Plus I'm sure you can manufacture seasalt here, whereas rock salt possibly has t be imported?

But surely given the names, it would make more sense for 'rock salt' to be mined, as you do with rocks. And 'sea salt' to come from the sea and made in salt pans.

LadyJade; that wikipedia article did nothing to clear up the rock salt / sea salt problem.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Really?
    The manufacture and use of salt is one of the oldest chemical industries. Salt is also obtained by evaporation of sea water, usually in shallow basins warmed by sunlight; salt so obtained was formerly called bay salt, and is now often called sea salt or solar salt. Today, most refined salt is prepared from rock salt: mineral deposits high in edible salt. These rock salt deposits were formed by the evaporation of ancient salt lakes. These deposits may be mined conventionally or through the injection of water. Injected water dissolves the salt, and the brine solution can be pumped to the surface where the salt is collected.
  • Options
    Oh, I must have missed that bit. Still, nice to know I was right and the other person really wrong.