Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

slow file problem thingy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every time I open my folder that holds my music everything crawls and just freezes up for a while. I don't have alot of music in it and my computer is a bit old and slow, but is there anything I can do to make it so its not so slow when I open it? (if that makes any sense at all...)

Oh, and to state the obvious, I have tried only having a few in seperate folders but that never seemed to make any difference.

Comments

• Options
    i know windows allows you to define what the files inside are for.
    right click on the folder. properties. then there should be a drop down menu where you define it as a music folder.
    sorry writin this via my psp so cant be exact!!

Edited to elaborate now i'm in front of a PC.

Go to the properties of the folder, then click "customize" then at the top there will be a drop down menu asking for the folder type. You can select "Music", "Music Artist", "Music Album"

I've never noticed any difference when using them to be honest, but they must do something surely???! - Probably not
  • Options
    Changing the folder types changes the display method such as 'thumbnails' or 'details' which is what i was going to suggest anyway
  • Options
    If you're in the "detail" view (where each music item is on its own line, and tells you things such as title, artist etc), try right clicking on the columns and unticking the artist, title, duration and bitrate columns.

From experience, having them showing slows down the folder - especially if you've got more than a thousand or so files in there, as Windows doesn't seem to cache this information so has to generate it on the fly each time (although there may be a setting to counter this).