Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pedestrian Crossings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A question to put to you all, to discuss.

Why do we bother having pedestrian crossings anymore when it more than appears to be the case that we, pedestrians, no longer exist to vehicle drivers.

Every day, every single day, when i walk to work vehicles drive through the Amber light, the red light, hell the green man, don't let the fact that people are WALKING across what is supposed to be a safe place for them to do so stop you from driving through it oh no !

Worse still are Zebra crossings. Whilst walking across the middle of two different zebra crossings in different parts of the city the amount of traffic i have witnessed who continue to drive through them is simply outrageous not to mention most of these are actually speeding whilst zipping through these pedestrian zebra crossings.

I was nearly hit by a car nearly a week ago whilst crossing a zebra crossing. Zebra crossings are for people to walk cross the road safely not for vehicle drivers to play human bowling with ! Every other time i have stood at the zebra crossing round the corner from here i have stopped at the edge to state my intent to want to cross, do vehicles stop as they are supposed to ? Do they hell as like !

The highway code clearly states Amber/Red means stop, well it is supposed to but obviously drivers don't see it that way.

So what's going on with all this shit, is it going to take the death of a person crossing a supposed safe area for them to cross to get the police and council to act !?

How many of you vehicle drivers here do what i've just talked about ?

How many of you pedestrians have witnessed what i have just mentioned ?

This is why i liked where i used to stay, we had underpasses and overpasses to keep people and vehicles completely out of each others way's. Unfortunately City's like this just don't have the space to do such a thing everywhere.

I think it's about time the council and police sorted this out but it's as if they don't see this happening, with all their CCTV and stuff.

and just to make this even by the way this is a 50/50 problem PEOPLE can be JUST AS BAD as the vehicle drivers at times, note i say at time's.

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you.
  • Options
    Tbh, aside from some drivers speeding to get through the amber/red (and I never start crossing until I've seen both sides stop, this is just in Brixton though) I've never really had problems with vehicles - it's the cyclists who tend to think the red light/zebra crossing doesn't apply to them. The number of times I've had right of way then been sworn at by someone who took the moral high ground for 'going green'... but then again, they're not all like that, and I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see 4 cyclists in a row stop at the red lights.

But in the grand scheme of things, no matter which way you travel, there's a group that'll dislike you.
  • Options
    I dunno, I've not encountered this problem really, but I can understand that there are a lot of inconsiderate drivers out there, which is half the problem.
  • Options
    My worst ever experience with a crossing was on a pelican crossing, which crossed three lanes of traffic all going in the same direction. It was a really busy junction. I pressed the button, watched the lights change red and then watched the green man appear. Two of the three lanes stopped, with quite a few cars in each queue, and so I assumed there was nothing else coming and stepped out. A car zoomed out of the middle lane in front of me as I was in front of the first stopped lane of traffic. If I had been 2 seconds quicker, I would have been squished, as there is no way the driver would have seen me in time to stop, it was going stupidly fast. Even the drivers of cars in the other two lanes looked shocked.
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with pedestrian crossings, but i do hate it when they sit there edging forwards and zoom off as soon as you're on the other side, even if it's still red.
  • Options
    Thinking more about it, what i've said has more meaning for people like mothers who have their kids with them because they have far more chance of their kid being hit on one of these " pedestrian " crossings by a careless driver than an young adult / adult.

I think that it is the case that nothing will get done until sadly someone is killed, it just seems like otherwise, no one gives a shit.
  • Options
    Just stand in the middle of a zebra crossing, you may die, but on the other hand you may get £500 compensation.
  • Options
    My experience it's the pedestrians and the cyclists who need to learn. It clearly states that you only cross at a crossing when it's safe to do so. Stop for cars only means stop if you can do so safely. If I'm barreling along and some lights begin to change just yards away from me then i'm not going to be able to stop.
    Then you get people who just cross in random places and wait in the middle of the road as if they're wearing some sort of magic cloak of prtection.
    And cyclists, who said they were permitted to start hogging the lanes? Most of the roads I use have perfectly good cycle lanes, do the cyclists use them? No, they venture onto my domain and get in everyone's way.

*Rant over*
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    Thinking more about it, what i've said has more meaning for people like mothers who have their kids with them because they have far more chance of their kid being hit on one of these " pedestrian " crossings by a careless driver than an young adult / adult.

I think that it is the case that nothing will get done until sadly someone is killed, it just seems like otherwise, no one gives a shit.

This isn't a new thing. I had an extremely near miss with a car on a zebra crossing about 20 years ago. I remember that because I was with my little sister who was only about five at the time and I literally had to jump out of the way, dragging her with me. It wasn't the only time either.

People have been killed on zebra crossings before as well.

Shall I tell you what though, you're right when you say pedestrians can be just as bed. Lately I've been noticing how, more and more, they just wander into the road where there's no crossing, or at a crossing when it's not the time to cross, without looking, or caring that there's an oncoming vehicle, and then take thier time and stroll across the road all leisurely like, as if they had all the time in the world. I swear some people think they're invincible.
  • Options
    I drive, but obviously I've got legs so am a pedestrian too and I've noticed that many drivers seem to have forgotten to stop at zebra crossings. I, personally, always stop which often forces the cars coming the other way to stop too (although not always, ignorant people are everywhere)
  • Options
    There are some drivers that are wankers and don't think they need to stop for anyone else. Can't say I've seen people jumping lights at pelican crossings though. In fact, I see far more crap from pedestrians than drivers. Drivers have to pass a test to be on the road. I see hundreds of pedestrians all the time walking out without looking, because they assume that they don't need to because it's a zebra crossing. Or rush across when the green man is just about to finish flashing. Or walk out into the middle of a road "don't look at it - if I don't look at it, it's not really there, so it can't hurt me." I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a kid stand by the side of a zebra crossing and wait for the cars to stop. Was it just me that was taught that?
  • Options
    I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a kid stand by the side of a zebra crossing and wait for the cars to stop. Was it just me that was taught that?

The only thing about that is that technically you don't have to stop unless someone is actually on the zebra crossing (even one foot on it counts), although really you would anyway if someone was standing there waiting (well you would if you had any decency).
  • Options
    I was under the impression that if a zebra crossing was separated by an island, then you only needed to stop if the person was on your side of the crossing?

There is a crossing near me that is about 20 metres off a roundabout exit, thats the only time i've nearly hit someone.
  • Options
    ^^^ according to my theory book, you should treat a crossing that is seperate by an island as ONE crossing

may be out of date though

agree with some of the points about pedestrans bein just as bad, they'll risk crossing a busy road when there's a crossing about 5 yards up the road!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    ^^^ according to my theory book, you should treat a crossing that is seperate by an island as ONE crossing

may be out of date though

agree with some of the points about pedestrans bein just as bad, they'll risk crossing a busy road when there's a crossing about 5 yards up the road!

20: Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road - it is a separate crossing.

How sad that i searched the Highway Code for this!
  • Options
    hmmm on my cd it says the opposite

naughty!x

Edit: just looked and its pelican crossings that you should treat as one, not zebra :)
  • Options
    Yes. Oddly enough for zebra crossings the rule states that car drivers only have to stop for people *on* the crossing. The fact that a person waiting at a crossing could change to being on it in a half a second seems to escape the notice of some drivers though, who are clearly all desperately late for very important meetings, and so must continue apace.
  • Options
    I do think pedestrians should take more responsibility.

My brother was driving along a high street at 20/25 miles per hour and a young lady stepped out from the kerb between two parked cars, looking down because she was texting on her mobile phone, drunk and staggering anyway and he hit her. She said it was her fault at the scene as did onlookers but my brother is still being charged with dangerous driving, poor mite. He's no angel, but for once he wasn't actually doing anything wrong!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with pedestrian crossings, but i do hate it when they sit there edging forwards and zoom off as soon as you're on the other side, even if it's still red.

I think I've seen this before. And some odd drivers stop when the man is red as well.:confused: (admittedly, the red light is on as well)
    My brother was driving along a high street at 20/25 miles per hour and a young lady stepped out from the kerb between two parked cars, looking down because she was texting on her mobile phone, drunk and staggering anyway and he hit her. She said it was her fault at the scene as did onlookers but my brother is still being charged with dangerous driving, poor mite. He's no angel, but for once he wasn't actually doing anything wrong!

What exactly did he do wrong though?:confused: Doesn't make sense that he's being charged for something like that.

Anyone else found that there some drivers who will not stop and nearly run them over, even when you were clearly the first one to cross the road? This happened to me one time - I was walking from town and have to cross a small lane to get home. I was walking across the lane, midning mine own businness and this van comes speeding out of nowhere and I had to stop for him to go up the lane - even though I was there first.
  • Options
    Personally I think that the rules of thumb should be the person at most risk of injury should take more care. That isn't enshrined in law but let's face it a car isn't going to suffer much damage when it hits me at 30mph, me on the other hand...

As a driver though I'd like to think that I am aware of what is going on around me. In part I put that down to the fact that I used to ride a motorcycle and I learned the hardway that car drivers are morons.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Then you get people who just cross in random places and wait in the middle of the road as if they're wearing some sort of magic cloak of protection.
    And cyclists, who said they were permitted to start hogging the lanes? Most of the roads I use have perfectly good cycle lanes, do the cyclists use them? No, they venture onto my domain and get in everyone's way.

*Rant over*

Oh i definitely agree cyclists are certainly up there as well. I completely agree with you about people just wandering into the road. It's the same with people waiting at the green man and they just run out across the road as a bus or HGV rapidly approaches, i just think you myself they are such stupid idiots putting themselves in such a position as to be so close to losing their lives. Like vehicles cyclists just ride on through the Green man when you are in the road crossing !
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Just stand in the middle of a zebra crossing, you may die, but on the other hand you may get £500 compensation.

I like your thinking however i need and want to keep the use of all my bodily movements and functions :p
    Miffy wrote:
    This isn't a new thing.

Oh i can completely understand that Miffy but then you have to wonder, if it's gone on for this long, even with people being killed on Zebra crossings or hit whilst crossing on the Green man, why is it still happening ?

This thing regarding the technicalities of crossing on a zebra crossing, I've tried different approaches but each time i had the same result, vehicles will just carry on driving through not giving a care if you are on it. In fact one time i was walking across a zebra crossing a car driver was going mental in the car, as if i was doing something wrong and putting them out by crossing at the zebra crossing, it really REALLY pisses me the hell off.

I'd go as far as to say that at least once a day i come across a vehicle that is on a collision course with myself, it really is that bad around here. I'm very observant when out though constantly aware of everything around me but that's not enough everyone should be aware of everything around them, one person doing it isnt enough.

Now someone tell me something, as i've always wondered about this, the little camera type device that sits atop traffic lights, and i'm aware not on ALL traffic lights, what does it actually do, is it like a CCTV camera or a speed capturing device or simply some kind of vehicle monitor and not a camera at all.
  • Options
    I believe the cameras on top of traffic lights are just monitors, they monitor the traffic approaching and, on the newer crossings, they scan the crossing area for people.