Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ive been gyming It

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just been to the gym today for the first time in sooo long and i feel great! Am aiming to lose a stone, does anyone have any tips for me??

Comments

• Options
    Yes, don't start obsessing on the numbers.

As you burn fat, you (should be) building muscle, which weighs more than fat. Go more for size/shape/feel as opposed to numbers.

Also, don't just stick with those classes or cardio. Get some weights lifted - that way, after a good session, your body will still be burning more calories, even after you have finished.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Yes, don't start obsessing on the numbers.

As you burn fat, you (should be) building muscle, which weighs more than fat. Go more for size/shape/feel as opposed to numbers.

Also, don't just stick with those classes or cardio. Get some weights lifted - that way, after a good session, your body will still be burning more calories, even after you have finished.

:yes:

I've been going to the gym for more than a year, and have not lost loads of weight (about half a stone) but am much more toned and healthy. I agree with the advice about weights, a lot of girls just stick to cardio but weights are good too and are a good way to tone specific parts of your body.

Try different classes as just going to the gym gets boring. Stability ball class is a good one.
  • Options
    Oh - and keep your workouts to 1 hour MAX.

Any longer than this and your body starts to break down muscle tissue instead of fat - which it keeps in reserve.
  • Options
    * Ditch the scales. As g_angel said, don't start obsessing about numbers, and scales aren't good judges of what's being burned, what's building up etc. Go by how you look, how you feel, and how your clothes fit. If you want to, measure yourself with a tape measure once a week.

* Rest between gym is just as important as the time at the gym (especially where building muscle is concerned) so make sure you sit your arse down and rest between ;)

* Weights. Please do weights! I see so many women at the gym, who trundle along nicely on the cross trainer, hardly breaking a sweat 3 times a week and no weights with it. Their body shapes do not change. I hate using the word, but if you want to 'tone' you need to build muscle while burning fat, and muscle is a very active tissue - it increases your basic metabolic rate, and in getting strength, you'll have more energy.

* Don't listen to people who tell you that you don't want to do weights as it'll cause you to 'bulk up' :rolleyes: as a woman, it's very difficult to without the help of something illegal. Hell, I wish I could build muscle as well as the guys at my gym do.

* Alternate the days you do weights/cardio. Doing weights after cardio isn't such a good idea, you might make yourself prone to injury. Always keep your body guessing - change your workout, change the exercises you do.

* Diet is as just as important as the exercise, if not more, so make sure you're eating the right things.

I found these sites pretty helpful when starting out:

Body for Life Exercise Page it has some good info on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which is what I do for my cardio

Stumptuous No woman starting out should be without it! She has some very good nutritional info as well as exercise info. You can see her before and after pics here

This directory has a very extensive list of exercises for specific muscle groups
  • Options
    A good idea is to exercise with a good healthy diet as just going to the gym will not have that big of an impact if you eat on any junk food. If you eat healthily then you are fine just going to the gym.

Holliepop27 check your pm for more info.
  • Options
    That was some nice advice, go away. :) I'm definitely keeping this in mind.

I also started going frequently to the gym recently and am trying my best to alternate my workouts. I haven't noticed much change just yet, although I feel a ton better. I've been going at seven in the mornings and it's the best start to my day I can think of.

Good luck holliepop, and remember to try to enjoy what you're doing. :) I'm fortunate enough to be alone a lot of the time in the gym I go to, and I've been playing music I love and often start dancing a bit to the music like an idiot between doing weights.