Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The only way?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is getting a job The only way?

I've got two friends who are creative and good at what they do. But they are both out of a job and have been for a while now.

They have other options to earn an income, but they just can't see it. As far as they are concerned getting a job is the only way to make money. I am now tired of talking to them about it.

The funny thing is a lot of people think this way - getting a job is the only way to make money.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    There are lots of ways to make money yes.?
  • Options
    call me stupid but apart from working, having a job how else can you make money?
  • Options
    I think Seyi is possibly referring to somebody using their skills to find a niche in the market and work for themselves which although is still a job, can be more rewarding to the individual...

I have a few possible ideas on the go at the moment and hoping one may take off... in the meantime I have a great job that I will happily stay in if my other ventures don't work out...

The problem is Seyi... starting out on your own takes a lot of time and effort with not much immediate return - it is possible your friends see the easiest way to stay afloat is to work for someone else, at least for the time being anyway :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It sounds like you might be talking about the different between 'getting a job' and being self-employed Seyi - there's lots of things you can do to make money - sell stuff on ebay is a classic example - but at the end of the day that's often still classed as 'work' if you do it often enough.
    The word 'job' is just so vague I guess.
  • Options
    To earn money you either get a job or make a job. Or you can scrounge off the rest of us.