Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Corks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do we think of screw tops and plastic corks? I just opened a bottle with a plastic cork and was worried that it didn't seem very tight and was really easy to pull out but the wine is fine :D I think if the screw tops are airtight that it is probably the way forward seeing as plastic corks are not ideal as they are hard to make expandy enough. I had a case of wine with a dissproportionate amount of corked wine 2 out of 12, when they say the natural incidence is about 1 in 1000- I think? The problem with wineries avoiding natural cork is that that area of portugal? where the cork trees are will die, well the cork industry there will at least. your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not really bothered tbh. Screw top is easier I guess but there's something satisfying about uncorking a bottle of wine.
  • Options
    Hate screw tops AND plastic corks....just doesn't feel like real wine when you open it!! It's becoming more and more common...but what can you do?!? :impissed:
  • Options
    yeah, but people are rightly getting fucked off with buying a bottle of wine to find that it's fucking corked! Why pay for something that's undrinkable, and if you did manage to get it down your neck (how I don't know) it would make you ill. Yeah. you can take the bottle back, but still you want to have better quality control than that really.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    yeah, but people are rightly getting fucked off with buying a bottle of wine to find that it's fucking corked! Why pay for something that's undrinkable, and if you did manage to get it down your neck (how I don't know) it would make you ill. Yeah. you can take the bottle back, but still you want to have better quality control than that really.

I don't know.....suppose I might not have such a problem with plastic corks if they actually fitted back in the bottle when you've taken them out!!!! If I'm on my own, don't exactly always want to polish off an entire bottle of wine...but it doesn't keep as nicely without a cork.....:no:
  • Options
    you can always push the cork into the bottle, unless its V necked