Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sleep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
since my nan died on friday I have been having trouble sleeping, I cannot get off to sleep and once im asleep i keep waking, this isnt at all like me, normally I can sleep for britain. I was just wondering what everyone else uses to help them get to sleep, im desparate and willing to try anything atm. I was going to drive to our 24 hr ASDA and get some sleeping tablets but im not in a fit state to drive as i nearly crashed my car earlier. We have none in the house either.

thanks
EM

Comments

• Options
    sleeping pills can help, but it seems more like your problem is depression. If you could pop round to your gp they will give you something to help you sleep and is also a mild anti-depressant. I got given amitriptyline, but things started getting better so i didnt bother taking them.
  • Options
    more exercise, is a sure fire way to a better nights sleep. cutting out evening caffeine may help too.

go for a swim if you can, always worth trying the exercise option before resorting to pills I think, although it often cant be helped.

I have used nytol herbal before, but I really dont know if they worked or not, but they're worth a try.

things like this though, where you lay down, really tired, but your mind doesnt stop racing, is a real difficult one to solve more often than not, especially in times of grief or stress.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    sleeping pills can help, but it seems more like your problem is depression. If you could pop round to your gp they will give you something to help you sleep and is also a mild anti-depressant. I got given amitriptyline, but things started getting better so i didnt bother taking them.

I wouldn't resort to anti depressants just yet!! Bit extreme....you're grieving...your sleep's bound to be a bit off for the moment...I'd try natural remedies first if I were you...sorry, that's my only advice though...I'm a bit of an insomniac at the best of times!! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I've normally got two ways of dealing with problems,
    1: Work out so much I'm on the brink of exhaustion, i find if im upset i actually tend to work with higher weights because i put my complete all into it until i can hardly move anymore.
    2: I watch a lot of movies, the more intense the storyline the better. Just to lose myself in it and forget who/where I am for a few hours

I'd probably reccomend the second option tbh, the first only really works if you're angry.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    I wouldn't resort to anti depressants just yet!! Bit extreme....you're grieving...your sleep's bound to be a bit off for the moment...I'd try natural remedies first if I were you...sorry, that's my only advice though...I'm a bit of an insomniac at the best of times!! :crazyeyes
    I know, but if its particularily bad then she may need it. I realise i was wrong to suggest that and nothing else, but her case sounded a lot like someone i know...her grandmother died and they were very close. Same thing she couldnt sleep and the gp gave her amitriptyline. Although i dont think she took them, he told her to take them if she really needed them.
  • Options
    Some things that have helped me to sleep are taking a really mega hot bath and just lying in it for ages, 40 mins or so, then going to bed in a warm but not too hot room. Thing is, if your insomnia is caused by an event like a family death you might be better off taking a sedative. One of the ingredients in the OTC sleeping pills is really good in a high dose, I think it's the hops, but because it's mixed (at least in the cheapo own brand supermarket version I bought) y ou'd have to take more than the reccommended dose to get enough of a sedative amount from it. AFAIK it is quite safe to take prescription sedatives for a short term insomnia like that brought on by an event. I know you don't seem keen to take prescription meds but I think you should ask your docs advice. When I experienced a close death my friend (second mom) was prescribed sedatives and only need to take them during the hardest part of the grieving and as long as you don't have an addictive personality and only need to take them short term, they are quite safe.

I have been having probalems with my sleep for so long it's not even funny and have found a sympathetic doc who's trying differnt things with me. Noone of which are actually working, but she is listening to me and I've been through a fair few docs to find one who doesn't tell me to just go to bed earlier... (what the fuck?) I am now on a low dose of a tricyclic anti depressant to help me sleep as it has a sedative effect as well as the anti-depressant properties helping my mind to "switch off" at night, although it's not working, it's not the only option my doc is willing to try. If you find a symapthetic doctor they will really try their best to help you. So I really recommend seeing your GP.

Otherwise, camomile tea might help, warmed up milk has some thing in it that makes you sleep, but milk tastes like shit so... Don't drink ANYTHING with caffeine in it after three pm. Take exercise during the day but not too late at night. Let your emotions out so they're not running around your head at night. With your grandma dying there are sure to be a few running around your head- find a way to vent! (don't tell anyone I said this but flicking your bean might help) Turn the lights out and lie in the dark, try regulating your breathing, a bit like counting sheep but concentrating on in, in, out, out, through your nose.

I am so sorry your grandma has died.
  • Options
    Read a book, it will make your eyes heavy in no time!
  • Options
    you're grieving so understandably sleep will be an issue, my mum went thru a similar thing and went docs n they prescribed diazepan (or however u spell it) just for a week to tide her over and keep her calm allow her to sleep so she didnt get sick, maybe go to the docs and xplain then they shud be able to help with both short term n longer term if u need it.
    xxx
  • Options
    exactly, doiazipam is a sedative. Is you the asame hollypoop that was onin the papers? being abeauty queen but a fiffernt usertname?
  • Options
    what papers? no wasnt me sorry
  • Options
    Try to wind down before bedtime too, give yourself half an hour to curl up on the sofa and read a book you like before going to bed, and only go to bed when you're actually tired.

If you do wake up in the night and don't fall asleep again quite quickly then consider getting up and moving around a bit. Often if you just lie in bed for ages trying to get back to sleep it just gets harder and harder to do so.
  • Options
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that your nan passed away, it must be a hard time for you. TheSite's article on sleeping easy tells you how to shape up your shut-eye. It would be a good idea to try to relax and make yourself comfortable. You may also want to talk to someone about your feelings as people often find it helps. If it's not getting any better a visit to your doctor would be worthwhile. Hope it helps, take care!
  • Options
    thanks all, after another sleepless night im gonna give some of them a try tonight, if it doesnt help I will go DRs on Mon. Thanks again for your advice.
  • Options
    go for a run or something before you go to the gp :) it's always worth a try