Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gambling and you

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Check out our new FAQ on gambling - lots of good advice if you think you have a problem, or know someone else who may have one. The fact sheet also offers advice on how to deal with a relapse and any withdrawal symptoms you may go through - something you may think is only related to people giving up drink or drugs, but apparently it's just as common in this kind of an addiction.

FAQ: Gambling and you

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As Blagsta said recently, the term 'addiction' is really quite troublesome - there are bio-chemical reasons why habitual gamblers go back and keep doing it, but its not a chemical addiction. Its a dopamine rush, similar to cocaine, though lower in intensity.
  • Options
    Gambling can be very addictive. I started gambling online whilst at uni. It started quite innocently with Big Brother, then the World Cup and eventually anything i could bet on at the time :D

Now i just stick to poker. But i dont think im addicted. Im sure i can stop whenever i wanted, or my credit limit is reached :yes:

:thumb:
  • Options
    i'm bad with scratchcards

:(

think i'll have a read :thumb:
  • Options
    I have never touched scratch cards or the lottery :no:

I must have tried every other form of gambling from American greyhound racing to online bingo though :D
  • Options
    I won on the Grand National 4 times in a row, but I still don't really see the appeal of gambling. But if I do bet, I prefer something I have some control over, like a card game or a game of pool, or those 2p machines at the fair.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Audio added

Just added the audio interview so if you want to hear the whole interview then it's live now... sorry, I'm still in sleepy Monday mode and just remembered to add it :eek: