Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing Weight Safely

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering if anyone has any safe tips for losing weight, im not really overweight or anything so i would just like to lose a few pounds and tone up for the summer.. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    eat sensibly and exercise, simple :)

good luck with it

and DONT skip brekkie x
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

good luck with it

and DONT skip brekkie x
    :yes:
  • Options

That's pretty much it. Although if you want to lose fat and gain musclular definition i.e. 'tone' then you'll have to use weights.

My other tip would be to ditch the scales. While you want to lose fat, remember that muscle weighs more, and is more dense, so if you want to monitor your progress, use a tape measure and see how your clothes fit.

Stumptuous is a pretty good starting site with basic nutritional/exercise info.
  • Options

good luck with it

and DONT skip brekkie x

I was going to say this - can't think of naything else more sensible.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

My other tip would be to ditch the scales. .

:yes:

Forget about the numbers and focus on the visuals. You should be happy with what you see, not what you show up as on some spinny-roundy dial on some scales.
  • Options
    personally, I enjoy watching the lbs drop off during weigh-in time each day, only for an extra 1 or 2 to be added each week (through muscle building).

For me, THAT's my motivation.

But yeah .. do some light weights - you won't turn into the incredible hulk or anything! but the bigger the muscles (even slightly after 1 or 2 weeks), the faster your metabolism - the faster fat is burnt.
  • Options
    For eating healthy, small steps can go a long way also. Substitute vegi's for fries, skip the mayo, add a yogurt to your lunch.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    vegi's for fries

I might just do that!
  • Options
    and DONT skip brekkie x

Ive been skipping breakfast most of my life..well, perhaps not most of it, but the majority of the week. i can just never find something i fancy eating everyday. Ive been a bit better of recent though..bananas may be my saviour..
  • Options

good luck with it

and DONT skip brekkie x

Everyone forgets to mention watch what you drink as well - soft drinks can have loads of sugar and beer, etc lots of calories.
  • Options
    There are loads of foods with hidden sugar that appear to be healthy on the outside. Some packs of porridge oats for instance, are laden with sugar. Or some pro/pre-biotic drinks have sugar etc. anything that spikes the insulin will then cause it to slump: inducing tiredness, more hunger...

nelly-bar: you don't have to have a typical 'breakfast' to be your first meal of the day. For instance, the other day I had some chicken breast in wholemeal pitta bread with some pesto.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Drink plenty of water too as it tricks you into feeling full :)

not only that but water is like the food to your metabolism, your metabolism slows if you're dehydrated. Water also flushes out your system and helps get rid of toxins so water is a very good tip for a few reasons! :yes:
  • Options
    Reduce your calorie intake, up your exercise.
    Drink a glass of water before each meal - you'll fill up and eat less.
    Swap semi skimmed milk for skimmed.
    Don't take sugar in tea/coffee.
    Eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, fish and chicken.

ETA; portion control. Make your portions smaller, eat 5/6 smaller meals during the day/evening.