Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Latest FIFA rankings...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6449239.stm

I don't think we're 16th best in the world, but then we weren't just 88th best in the world a couple of years back.

I'd give us a real chance at Hampden against any of the top European teams (and England too) after the French game. We're top of a bitch of a qualifying group justnow going into the Georgia and Italy games but we've got Fletcher, McFadden and somebody else out so we'll see how long it lasts...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    47 Northern Ireland
    51 Republic Ireland
    77 Wales

:yippe:

That was one of Lawrie Sanchez's main aims when he took over Northern Ireland - to get them above the Republic in the rankings.

The world rankings are a wee bit bollocks anyway but at least the USA are no longer sitting in 5th.
  • Options
    england being 6th is fair, considering we were shocking in the world cup and have a crap manager.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    england being 6th is fair, considering we were shocking in the world cup and have a crap manager.

7 Holland
    8 Portugal
    9 Czech Republic
    10 Spain

Actually, I'd nearly put all of those teams ahead of England.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    7 Holland
    8 Portugal
    9 Czech Republic
    10 Spain

Actually, I'd nearly put all of those teams ahead of England.

I'd say it's pretty tight up at the top tbh. Neither Spain or Portugal dominated the game, or even were the better team last time we played them (though let's face it, it's because we were equally shit, rather than equally good). Holland gave us a game in that friendly, and I can't remember the last time we played the Czechs. Top ten looks about right imo, but God knows how Scotland are 16th. I reckon the Republic are way better than that too. Haven't they just changed it recently though, so that it only takes account of the last 4 years rather than the last 8?
  • Options
    hmmm, I'm sure Wales aren't *that* shit.
  • Options
    The FIFA rankings are a pile of bollocks anyway, look at the weighting they give to the Confed Cup.

I don't think I would put Spain ahead of England, although its close. England have been better in recent times than Spain, although with McMoron in charge that will change soon.
  • Options
    FIFA rankings are bollocks.
    England is definitely not the 6th best team in the world.
    And Argentina is not the best.
    It's all bollocks.
  • Options
    On paper, England is easily in the top 5 teams in the world, but recent performances have suggested otherwise. It's really hard to watch England nowadays, mainly because I struggle to stay awake!
  • Options
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    On paper,

As the great Brian Clough once said, this team is good on paper. Shame we play on grass...
  • Options
    As the great Brian Clough once said, this team is good on paper. Shame we play on grass...

Indeed.