Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

up to 30% of of children with ADHD may have been misdiagnosed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23388389-details/The+great+ADHD+myth/article.do

that's what you get medicalising, what in essential is simply a different behaviour that isn't wrong, just different and could be simply an unchallenged and thus bored child#

diagnosis of it: http://web4health.info/en/answers/adhd-diagn-dsm.htm

from that list, there is nothing wrong with behaviour like that, the needs are jsut lsightly different to a normal child, and factory style school classes aren't exactly the most inspiring to begin with

Comments

• Options
    Is ADHD culture-bound to the West? I don't know enough about it, but I'd be interested to know if it is.
  • Options
    If ADHD was proflic when my brother was younger he would have been diagnosed at a young age. Uttely ignoring the fact he was quite bright at a young age and the mass schooling didnt suit him one bit.
  • Options
    wouldnt supprise me... I worry my lil brother might be diagnosed with something like this, but I just think he's a bit hyper... I dunno.

definately not something you need to start medicating on untill you've tried all other options, that's for sure!

although ritalin is supposed to help, once you stop taking it, learning is apparantally even harder...
  • Options
    South Park comes true again then ('Timmy 2000' episode, season 4).
  • Options
    Sounds about right, I was reading about something similar on a GPs blog not so long ago...
  • Options
    I can't believe it's taken so long for people to realise that ADHD is being over diagnosed. I see kids so oftenly diagnosed with that when it's only a behaviour many times in reaction to problems they are experiencing and can't express through words (for many reasons). Medicating them is simply silencing their mechanism of saying that something is wrong. And that's simply cruel.