Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Men wrongly imprisoned told to pay for their prison board

Story.

Legally its right, but words cannot describe how angry this ruling makes me.

Not that the law will be changed, as this Government is run by a penny-pinching moron and is bankrupt in any case.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They keep doing this and it makes me really angry every time - despite what the Mail says, its not a hotel and you shouldnt have to pay for your bed and board.
  • Options
    Why on earth should they have to pay because the jury made mistakes? Surely they should be the ones getting compensation and not having to pay for mistakes that were made?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    They keep doing this and it makes me really angry every time - despite what the Mail says, its not a hotel and you shouldnt have to pay for your bed and board.

Even if prison was a hotel, they shouldn't have their compensation taken from them on the basis that "they'd have had to buy it anyway". Like they would have chosen to spend 20 years eating cold porridge at 20p a day.

:mad:
  • Options
    You know that this has been tried with inpatients in hospital too, don't you?
  • Options
    Could they sue based on the standard of the accomodation not being acceptable (you know little things like locks on the doors, beatings by screws, shitting in a bucket, getting raped...)
  • Options

You what?!
  • Options

Yep.

It's a fducking disgrace, especially as the amount charged is £50 a week in modern money. I could get a lot for that- the amount being deducted would have been enough to buy a house.
  • Options
    That's unbelievable.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Could they sue based on the standard of the accomodation not being acceptable (you know little things like locks on the doors, beatings by screws, shitting in a bucket, getting raped...)

yeah i hate landlords like that.
  • Options
    If I heard correctly they are also getting some taken off because they have a previous record - in other words they were criminal types anyway so they were probably going to be in jail for something.
  • Options

Under what circumstances?
  • Options
    I'm surprised they didn't deduct income tax from their final compensation amount.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What does that mean? Some people were brought to a hospital against their will, and then it was proven that they were telling the truth about being healthy, but they still asked them to pay? :confused:

:p
  • Options
    What does that mean? Some people were brought to a hospital against their will, and then it was proven that they were telling the truth about being healthy, but they still asked them to pay? :confused:

Maybe they sectioned some sane people.....
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    Under what circumstances?

Where someone has been an inpatient for a long time (partly due to social needs) and they were still getting financial support through some form of benefits. It was argued that they hadn't had costs of heating, food etc during their stay...
  • Options
    Where someone has been an inpatient for a long time (partly due to social needs) and they were still getting financial support through some form of benefits. It was argued that they hadn't had costs of heating, food etc during their stay...

well that does make sence, i wouldnt say take it all but if someone is getting benefits and is in hospital for more then a couple of weeks they dont have to pay out for as much, so surely they shouldnt receve as much?