Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sex drive and pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say you are on some pills, where a common side effect is decreased sex drive, long before you even knew what a sex drive was. In turn, though you do enjoy it, you've never ever really been sexual feeling. After many years of being on these, what do you think the likelyhood of having the sex drive return if you came off the pills?

Or is it a once its gone its gone thing.

Comments

• Options
    it should come back once the chemicals are outa your system, although I suppose that'll take longer, the longer you've been taking them.

it's really something you should ask your GP / whoever the prescription's from :)
  • Options

I plan on talking to the doc also, it will just be months and months away that it will happen so I just thought I'd see if I could try and see in the meantime ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Say you are on some pills, where a common side effect is decreased sex drive, long before you even knew what a sex drive was. In turn, though you do enjoy it, you've never ever really been sexual feeling. After many years of being on these, what do you think the likelyhood of having the sex drive return if you came off the pills?

Or is it a once its gone its gone thing.

I can relate 100% to you - I am on Microgynon and whenever articles talk about pills causing decreased sex drive, Microgynon is the one named... thing is I have been on them since I was 17 so couldn't really be sure whether they are linked to my (reasonably) low sex drive.

I talked to my doctor about having a break from them and perhaps looking at an alternative as I have been on them for 7 years but she said really and truly as I am probably thinking of starting a family in a year or so it would be silly coming off a pill that my body is settled with just for a change. So basically I probably won't find out for a year or so and fingers crossed soon after that I will be pregnant - after that who knows - children, the best form of contraception :)