Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Got pulled for speeding....how long does this count against me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Only been driving since January and yes, it was late, the roads were clear and i didnt notice the pigs til too late....so bang to rights they got me.

3 points and a £60 fine...what im curious about is how long those points stick to me?

Gotta go to the cop shop later and give in all my details *sigh*

Comments

• Options
    Only been driving since January and yes, it was late, the roads were clear and i didnt notice the pigs til too late....so bang to rights they got me.

3 points and a £60 fine...what im curious about is how long those points stick to me?

Gotta go to the cop shop later and give in all my details *sigh*

They are valid for 3 years but stay on your licence and need to be declared to the insurance people for 4 years.

However after 2 years of driving your 'allowed' 12 points as you probably know
  • Options
    Normally points last for 3 years however something to remember is that when you first start driving you have a two year probationary period where I 'think' you only have 6 points - if you go over during this time you have to retake your test... (I think this is right)
  • Options
    In the first two years of passing your test you are only allowed to collect six points before your license is revoked and you have to resit your test. After that you are allowed to have 12 points on your licence before you are banned.

Points stay on for three years AFAIK.
  • Options
    How fas do you have to be going before you get banned straight off?
  • Options
    Usually if youre going over 100mph its an automatic ban, as is driving at excessive and dangerous speed.

You will know if the police think you need an automatic ban as you will receive a court summons.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    How fas do you have to be going before you get banned straight off?

Depends on the road. Normally if you're going double the limit on a minor road, or over a 100mph on a motorway you'll get banned.
  • Options
    Do remember for the next 2 years that like others have said, get 6 points and you will lose your license and as it was explained to me have to start again from scratch. In short, get done once more for speeding and you'll have to reapply for your provisional, retake theory and practical tests.

Slow down.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Usually if you're going over 100mph its an automatic ban, as is driving at excessive and dangerous speed.

You will know if the police think you need an automatic ban as you will receive a court summons.

It's a subjective thing depending on your local police force, and how much they want to make an example of you, how stupid the speed was for the road etc.

As I understand it, it can be as low as around 50mph in a 30 before 6 points or a ban, 60 in a 40, 100 in a 70 etc. Some speed camera partnerships are zero tolerance, others (e.g Lancashire, who will offer speed awareness courses for those caught driving at a speed which is only slightly excessive - typically less than 40) are more lenient and try to get through to you other ways than simply a NIP.

On a politics style note, IMO initiatives used by places like the one I mentioned about Lancashire, and Glossop who have cameras which automatically send you out a nasty letter - but no points or fine are brilliant. Most of the people I know who have had to fork out £200 for a speed awareness course, or had one of the letters explaining death rates in the area they were caught and so on are fantastic ideas. 3 points and a fine will generally just anger most people rather than just deter them.