Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ideas to get support for an online campaign

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I volunteer my time at an organisation and recently the government have created a website where people can post a campaign for something they believe in and people if they agree can vote in favour of it... Everything is done online.

At the end of the month the government looks at the number of votes and whoever has the most wins .. :)

Their prize is to have their issue taken up by someone more senior in the government and hopefully they'll look into it and make some positive changes. The people that won a few months ago got invited to meet the PM at number 10 and talk about their campaign

Anyway currently we're in joint 2nd place with 25 votes .. but the leading campaign has 135 votes and we've just got 2 weeks to go. Main difference being we're just a small organisation where many of the members don't even know how to use a computer or don't have internet and the leading organisation has over 6.5 million members. We have a meeting at the end of the month and hopefully we'll be able to hand hold some of the less PC savvy members through the voting process.

Anyway is there any community action type websites or online groups people can recommend to post on to to ask others to look at the campaign and IF they agree to vote for it
. :wave:

Comments

• Options
    You've just done it, haven't you?!? :p
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    You've just done it, haven't you?!? :p

naah cos I didn't post a link - that might be seen as spamming and I'd want a MOD to say it was OK first to post a link.

BTW Just found out there is no minimum age to vote and more then one person can vote using the same email and post code (for instance if a husband and wife share an email address they can both vote - including their kids)

although it would be one heck of an achievement to get more votes then an organisation that have over 6 million members.
  • Options
    which govt site? the e-petitions one? there are petions on there with thousands of votes... :chin:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    which govt site? the e-petitions one? there are petions on there with thousands of votes... :chin:

Naah a different one .. quite new not many people know about it - I'll Pm you a direct link
  • Options
    naah cos I didn't post a link - that might be seen as spamming and I'd want a MOD to say it was OK first to post a link.

Oops...true...sorry!! :blush:
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Oops...true...sorry!! :blush:

yeah was just thinking some people might know of some sort of website or mailing list that would be worth checking out that's relevant.
  • Options
    Perhaps you should make use of web 2.0! Get registered with social networking sites such a delicious etc and perhaps make a video and upload to YouTube, Live Video etc. Get your friends and relatives involved and they can spread the word and perhap the local papers or radio station would be interested.
  • Options
    Feel free to post a link - it's a wierd site though - I'd take 'review' with a pinch of salt
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    Perhaps you should make use of web 2.0! Get registered with social networking sites such a delicious etc and perhaps make a video and upload to YouTube, Live Video etc. Get your friends and relatives involved and they can spread the word and perhap the local papers or radio station would be interested.

Hmm that's a good idea, I'll email a friend of mine that managed to get on the BBC Local TV news recently he might have some contacts

Anyway since Jim says it's OK here's the link

http://tinyurl.com/29du6s

ATM need over 110 extra votes to be in with a chance

** Important Notes **
    1. More than one person can vote using the same Postcode and Email Address
    2. There is no minimum age limit to vote

Therefore if you live in a household of a Husband + Wife + 3 School Children = 5 potential votes that can all use the same postcode and email address if need be, just make sure you all use your own individual names.

If you have friends and relatives that you think may also like to vote then please do let them know about the campaign. Voting ends on the 31st March 2007.
  • Options
    Naah a different one .. quite new not many people know about it - I'll Pm you a direct link

cheers :) essentially does the same thing then, but for labour? seems a bit pointless!
  • Options
    cheers :) essentially does the same thing then, but for labour? seems a bit pointless!

Well they are the government at the moment so them is the breaks - :chin:

Anyway if there was the slightest chance of getting the most number of votes by the end of the month (which is a huge task given who we're up against) it would certainly be a huge moral boost for the club members.
  • Options
    oh I didnt mean your campaign in particular, I just meant the site. given they already have the epetitions one, I thought it was a bit odd :)
  • Options
    the mysociety guys set up the epetitions one, this was presumably done through central labour funding
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    the mysociety guys set up the epetitions one, this was presumably done through central labour funding

but the aim of both of them is essentially the same thing, right?

it's like they're purposely trying to cover the net in red tape! :p
  • Options
    but the aim of both of them is essentially the same thing, right?

it's like they're purposely trying to cover the net in red tape! :p

The other site has a topic every month and you post a campaign that fits under that heading - think the petitions websites is more for anything and everything as far as I can tell?
  • Options
    The other site has a topic every month and you post a campaign that fits under that heading - think the petitions websites is more for anything and everything as far as I can tell?

ooh it's themed is it? yeah you're right, the other one is for anything :yes:
  • Options
    Anyways Guys & Gals - only got 5 days of voting left still need another 90 votes to be in with a chance .. :(

But there's always hope.. anyway for those that have or even haven't voted and want to there a bit of extra info which I didn't have before:

http://tinyurl.com/29du6s

Voting is open to anyone living in the UK, There is no minimum age limit to vote and spouses, parents & kids can all have a vote each, even if you all share the same email address.

So if you happen to be a family of 5 with all the same email address you can all have a vote no matter what age you all are .. Thanks for those that voted