Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reminiscing about youth clubs...

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm researching for an article for our other YouthNet website www.doit.org.uk and wondered if you ever used to go to any kind of youth club?

If I had to ask you what your initial memories were of it, what would they be? I went when I was a gawky 13 year-old, but all I can remember is film nights, playing pool and chatting the boys up...! What can you remember from those days and did you enjoy them, or not?!

If you are a volunteer at a youth club then I'd also be interested to hear about how you got into it, so feel free to send me a PM or talk about on this thread.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to go to a youth club when I was 17/18 - I think but i'm not sure that it was run by the local authority and it may have been attatched to a school or was in a school which had been closed. But anyway it was really good fun - basically all my friends went and it was twice a week - there was a bit hall and a skate ramp outside and a bit with a tuck shop etc. We mostly used to sit around chatting and smoking - I belive there were organised activities but i dont' remember taking part in any(but another of my friends independently did her DofE there). There were spontaneous games though such as lets all throw vickles shoe around and laugh at her cos she is short and can't reach when we put up high or lets see how many things we can hang off of pauls prince albert..

I also remember there was a no drinking rule - however as we had mostly all just passed our driving tests this wasnt' much of a problem as we had all gotten over the 15 year old lets go and drink lots of vodka and thow up stage and thoguht we were too mature to drink now it was legal.

I also seem to recall they might have had some discos and stuff. I certainly had lots of fun though - but I think that was mainly because my friends were all there - i knew eveyone before we went rather than meeting them there - basically at some point we decided we needed somewhere to hang out and the poor youth club got picked as the place to go. Though we did make the youth club itself infinately cooler by our prescence....
  • Options
    I went to a youth club at my primary school. It was a long running tradition for year six's to have their own youth club. Was quite cool, had a tuckshop and played volleyball in the hall! :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The only youth club round my way was a god squad job. Fuck that.

We had our own club, which would involve drink, drugs and getting up to no good - far more entertaining.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I used to go to one when i was about 14-17, it was pretty big inside and had a small football pitch, a rock climbing wall and a couple of pool tables. Just use to go down and hang out with my mates really, just saw it as somewhere to go when it was cold or we were bored.
  • Options
    Haha! I went to a youth club occasionally when I was 14/15.

From what I remember it involved lots of playing pool, table tennis and playing truth or dare!
  • Options
    they were ok. i went to one occasionally when i was about 14.

played lots of pool, darts, and football with people i wouldn't normally. (i.e. the local scallys)
  • Options
    i always wanted to but never did as the ones near me only seem to be church related groups which is basically going to church where as i wanted one to meet new people and just smoke and drink like the ones others have said about on here but i never knew where the one was near me and thought probably only 10 year old went so decided against it haha
    sounds fun though, i missed out
  • Options
    Our youth club involved playing indoor football and basketball with the occassional trip to the swimming pool, looking back on it it was almost entirely all-male. Didn't matter much to me at the time because back then all I wanted to do was play football and have the craic with my mates.