Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tory MP to force doctors to tell parents of their child's abortion

Story.

Obviously this proposed bill will never get anywhere near the statute book, but its interesting to see how the Tories, just like Labour, don't give a flying fig about privacy, the woman's right to choose, and patient confidentiality.

Parents should never have the right to know, because there is no such thing as a "right to know" without handing the parent the right to choose. People who fight for the "right to know" really want the right to force their children to do as they're told.

Parents should never have the right to force a child to have a baby she does not want, and if a child doesn't want to tell their parents about their decision, then that's their choice too. Of course in an ideal world children wouldn't get pregnant, or if they did they'd have supportive parents who would guide them to the right decision, but not all children have that.

Any law that forces doctors to breach patient confidentiality will place children in danger, but since when have the pro-lifers ever cared about that?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didn't work for Sue Axon, don't see why/how it should be the same for her.
    People who fight for the "right to know" really want the right to force their children to do as they're told.

Pretty much. Most teenagers do bring a parent or adult they can trust with them, but the ones who don't are often the ones who need the most protection.
    Any law that forces doctors to breach patient confidentiality will place children in danger, but since when have the pro-lifers ever cared about that?

But but, it punishes wo... I mean, might save babies!
  • Options
    Incidentally, they had a feature on Radio 1 yesterday about those purity ceremonies they do in America (I know it's not exactly related, but I find that it's often the same people that support this sort of crap on abortions). Apparently they have a 10% success rate, but then a lot of the 90% that do fall though the net end up pregnant or with STD's because they haven't been taught how to protect themselves properly. Seriously, I cringe whenever a politician comes up with a proposal on teen pregnancies or STD rates, and use "it's worked in America" as justificaton. How many decreases in abortion rates will be down to the kid realising that they have the support of loving parents, and how much is down to their pro-life parents pressuring them into having the baby, in keeping with their own beliefs rather than their child's? Surely the way to cut teenage abortion rates is to cut teenage pregnancy rates? It's pretty fucking simple. Do you copy off the country with the highest rates of teen pregnancies in the developed world, or the multitude of countries with the lowest, that all coincidentally happen to have fairly similar policies of education?
  • Options
    I did the silver ring thing ( I guess that's what you mean by purity ceromonies) when I was younger, mainly to shut up my squeaky clean pious friends. I now have a pretty ring and a pretty good sex life. Don't think that was quite what they had in mind... :p

Back to abortion, I think good practise as it currently stands is right; encourage the child to talk to parents/another supportive adult and make sure they fully understand what they are doing and are competant to give consent, but don't force them to tell a specific person. It's asking for trouble, it risks alienating scared young women/girls and reduces peoples faith in medical confidentiality.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Someone who wants things like this to happen either hasn't thought well enough about the results, or doesn't truly have "noble" reasons in mind. Or perhaps live in their own world. I can't think of any other explanation. No good would come of this becoming law.
  • Options
    Tbh, the parents should be more supportive and let their child know that they will be supportive. My mum has already said to me that if i got pregnant now then i'd be straight off to have an abortion. Doesn't really make me feel any better even though i'd probably have one anyway.
    People who fight for the "right to know" really want the right to force their children to do as they're told.
    agreed
  • Options
    Err, doctor-patient confidentiality anyone? Or did I just imagine that such a concept existed?
  • Options
    What a fucking odious witch :mad:
  • Options
    All this will do is force vulnerable children to keep their pregnancies, or force vulnerable children to terminate their pregnancies when they don't want to.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    All this will do is force vulnerable children to keep their pregnancies, or force vulnerable children to terminate their pregnancies when they don't want to.

Or force some kids to have a go at it themselves.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Or to try and play doctor in the doctor's place, in which case the results could be much worse than losing a baby you want or keeping one you don't.
  • Options
    I did the silver ring thing ( I guess that's what you mean by purity ceromonies) when I was younger, mainly to shut up my squeaky clean pious friends. I now have a pretty ring and a pretty good sex life. Don't think that was quite what they had in mind... :p
    And you're not pregnant or disease ridden? Well done. :p Incidentally, teenagers will do anything to get round this sort of thing on a technicality. I've heard of teenagers having anal sex instead, because it doesn't count in the terms of the contract.
  • Options
    And you're not pregnant or disease ridden? Well done. :p Incidentally, teenagers will do anything to get round this sort of thing on a technicality. I've heard of teenagers having anal sex instead, because it doesn't count in the terms of the contract.

Not to the best of my knowledge! :D But then I'm not stupid.....
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Or force some kids to have a go at it themselves.

Good point
  • Options