Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am I right in saying;

Given a choice man(woman) will choose a complicated route to life
as opposed to a simple one.

For example;

1) what we do for work
2) how we make money and so on

Why is this so....

Comments

• Options
    Can you give an example?

Do you mean a route to get from A to B or something else entirely?
  • Options
    Have you thought about forming a partnership with Seeker? - you both ask cod philosophical questions which make no sense
  • Options
    Have you thought about forming a partnership with Seeker? - you both ask cod philosophical questions which make no sense

:yes: :lol:
  • Options
    I mean to life in general
  • Options
    What on earth are you going on about?
  • Options
    Erm, let me get this straight. You're stating that given a choice between an easy life and a hard life, people will choose a hard life? What strange logic.
    I currently think my life is the easy life. Sure I could go out and get a better paid job and work hard in an office somewhere, but why should I when i've got a comparatively easy job, that pays a living wage and gives me a nice sense of wellbeing at the end of it....? I decided for the easy life and dropped out of uni, never regretted it either.
  • Options
    I think I chose the easy route - which means letting things pass me by instead of working for something and putting my energy properly into something. Thus in turn making me have a lower paid job that I don't enjoy etc making life harder.
  • Options
    seyi wrote: »
    Am I right in saying;

Given a choice man(woman) will choose a complicated route to life
    as opposed to a simple one.

For example;

1) what we do for work
    2) how we make money and so on

Why is this so....

Absolutely not ever, not if they are sane anyway - nothing in my life, or anyone I've met would agree with that.

It's a pretty negative view of people.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it's a negative view, not if he's alluding to a person's higher sense of purpose and a desire to better one's self.
  • Options

If he did, I think we would be yin and yang.

I prefer the path of least resistance.
  • Options
    I think the inventors or the microwave meal or the electric pencil sharpener would disagree.
  • Options
    I think most people do work hard to better themselves though- they could stay in a safe and steady job earning a safe and steady wage, or they can try a bit harder and do better at something they might fail at.

Equally, you see a fair minority of woman go after "bad boys", at least when they're young, as they are a challenge.

I don't think everyone is happy wallowing around playfully in their safety zone.
  • Options
    I think, in the view of relationships etc, many people do seem to take the harder route available...
  • Options
    Question isn't hardest route though - it's always taking the 'complicated' option
  • Options
    I think i know what he means...because of the sense of wellbeing you can get from taking the harder route, more stories to tell etc.

i was thinking about this the other day, like if you never had to work and just had money (ie simple) it would get boring relatively fast IMO.. we need a sense of purpose and direction in life to stay happy.

Also sometimes people take the simple choice because of other factors influencing it, if it was all on paper and they had to choose A or B (assuming the complicated will lead to a better wellbeing) they would choose B pretty much all the time. When factors like leaving your safety zone come into it people might tend to choose A (even if its not what they really want). When I read the question I looked at it in that way, not like A=walk down hill B=jump off cliff to get down.

Humans just have a built in need for a sense of purpose, i think a lot of people get depressed for choosing the 'simple' choice all the time, if we dont have things to occupy ourselves with then we think far too much :D