Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flying question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Are the regulations on what you can bring on a plane similar in most places? Are you, over there, also banned from brining on anything liquid and other outrageously dumb things? Do you have to take your shoes off at the metal detector too? Just curious really.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think the regualtions are the same at most airports around the world.

I dont know the exact rules, as the seem to be quite confused, but i dont think you can take anything liquid into the cabin. This includes shampoo, toothpaste etc.

Last time i came thru security I didnt have to take my shoes off, however someone people were requesed to. But i did have to loose my jacket etc, before i could pass thru the scanner.

:thumb:
  • Options
    in the us its 4fl oz which is a bit more than 100 ml and I think you can only take 6 bottles where in the UK you can take as many as you can fit into the stuipdly small bag they give you.

In colombia they virtually make you strip before you walk through the metal detector - burrr

Also I noticed that in the US you are allowed to have bags in the emergency isle but in europe your not.
  • Options
    Having recently flown home from Marrakech I was surprised that they didn't have any regulations regarding liquids at all...
  • Options
    its only europe and north america which have the liquid restrictions.

However eurpean/north american airlines often will have a secondary security check at the gate if the normal security staff aren't checking for liquids - however thats normally only the paranoied americans....
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    in the us its 4fl oz .

:no: It is nothing. No liquid.

Last time they even took my mascara away :\
  • Options
    The whole no liquids thing is a bad joke anyway, depending on who you ask the idea that you can make a bomb on a plane that way is either technically possible though incredibly hard, or totally impossible.

If a plane is going to be brought down these days it will be by mail parcels in the hold.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    :no: It is nothing. No liquid.

Last time they even took my mascara away :\

Well the last time i flew in December in the states it was fine - though i looked it up and i got the size wrong its 3FL OZ not 4 clicky

When I connected through in Steptember though i made all the staff in Atlanta laugh as i asked if it was OK for me to take my Taffey on board
    xx
  • Options
    Yeah, I just talked to my dad and he told me that too. The 3-1-1 rule :lol:

Though now I'm really mad because I know I traveled after that date and they still robbed me. :mad:
  • Options
    When i flew to the states in november it was still really tight - but i think it was relaxed a few days after i flew. Non-US flights had already been relaxed. But coming back were were allowed a little bag of travel-size everything.
  • Options
    When I went to NYC in June 2004, they made me take my shoes off... I thought they were crazy, haha. Never had to take my shoes off anywhere since, though.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I went to NYC in June 2004, they made me take my shoes off... I thought they were crazy, haha. Never had to take my shoes off anywhere since, though.
    I'd have said "I could do that, but for your safety, you'd need nose plugs and I don't see any." :p
  • Options
    yeah when i flew out from heathrow a few weeks ago there was a shoes-off and shoes-on queue, luckily i was in the shoes-on one.....coming back from prague tho i wasn't allowed to bring my sealed innocent smoothie drinks on the plane (which i bought in heathrow on the way in, duh..), so i stood there and held the queue up while i drank it in her face, ridiculous.
  • Options
    yeah when i flew out from heathrow a few weeks ago there was a shoes-off and shoes-on queue, luckily i was in the shoes-on one.....coming back from prague tho i wasn't allowed to bring my sealed innocent smoothie drinks on the plane (which i bought in heathrow on the way in, duh..), so i stood there and held the queue up while i drank it in her face, ridiculous.

They should use that as a test; take a couple of sips of whatever you have and if you don't keel over you're good to go.