Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mobile Phones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
Orange keep on phoning me wanting me to upgrade, my contracts not up till May but they want me to earlier cos I'm a loyal customer or summit!
I currently have a Sony W810i and I really like it, what would you reccomend? Orange says the K800i but whats the W88o1 like?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Not very sure, but the N73 is great!!!

I think they are trying to get you to upgrade now so they keep your contract on
  • Options
    Theyre just making sure they keep you. i was offered a K800i i wouldnt say its MUCH different to the w810i . I think id prefer the w810i tbh.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It depends on what you want in a phone. If you prefer one to have a really good camera then go for the k800i. In looks, and feel, the w810 and k800 are very different. I find the w810 feels like plastic and the k800 feels much weightier. Go into a shop like carphone warehouse and have a little play about.

For the record, I really like the k800i :)
  • Options
    Probably, I dont wanna leave them anyway unless they give me rubbish contract, just dunno wif I should just upgrade now or not
  • Options
    Phone them and say you want them to give you a deal so you stay I wanted to cancle My Tmobile one and the man talked me into staying and gave me some lovely stuff

But in the end i said i'd think about it:D
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Phone them and say you want them to give you a deal so you stay I wanted to cancle My Tmobile one and the man talked me into staying and gave me some lovely stuff

But in the end i said i'd think about it:D

I threaten to leave most years
    lol
  • Options
    Has it worked?
  • Options
    Stary Eyes wrote: »
    I threaten to leave most years
    lol

Yeah it's a different group of salespeople if you are planning on canceling. They have more power to give you deals, I think. If you actually say you've bought another contract with another company already (as I did last year), then say "ah well I might cancel that one if you give me this"... that works too.
  • Options
    Hi
    Orange keep on phoning me wanting me to upgrade, my contracts not up till May but they want me to earlier cos I'm a loyal customer or summit!
    I currently have a Sony W810i and I really like it, what would you reccomend? Orange says the K800i but whats the W88o1 like?
    Thanks

You sure it's really Orange calling you and not a middleman company?

I've had a few random phone calls from people wanting me to switch to Orange - obviously some big commissions to be had.
  • Options

Or else... last week my friend (on her Orange phone) recieved a call from another mobile number, saying he was from Orange and did she want to take out insurance cover for her phone. She replied that she already had insurance and he quickly ended the phone call. When we called the number back, he answered "Hello, [insert random company name], how can I help?".

Luckily my mates quite forceful (and works in a call centre so knows how they work, since he claimed that's where he was) and asked him to not call her again or she'd get the police involved, but as far as we can see it was a scam of some sort. It's happened to someone else a girl in our class knows as well, but I think she said she was on O2 so who knows...

Not saying yours was a scam like, just saw Diamonds comment and thought I'd give out a warning to everyone in general. Make sure it's Orange you're talking to ;)
  • Options
    have you looked at the w850i?
  • Options

Yeah, be careful of that.

If you take a contract out through a third party dealer, the contract is tehnically with them rather than Orange itself. That means that if you're offered cashback or HPLR then it's the responsibility of the dealer to honour, rather than Orange.

In my professional opinion you're as well phoning Orange about a month before you upgrade, because a lot of these dealers claim to be from the phone company when they aren't. Also, if the dealer stops trading (this happens a lot) then you won't get cashback or line rental, and you're still held to the contract.
  • Options
    Its Silent Communications that keep on phoning, I phoned up orange and questioned it and they said they have a few companies working with them doing upgrades etc but I'd only do it through Orange least I know they are genuine!
    I keep on getting calls, then Orange started to call me too, I answered it once and they said they'd also been trying to contact me but they have stopped now.
    The W850i yeh I'm not too fussed on that to be honest.
    I'm gonna leave it want the K800i in silver if it comes on Orange!
    Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    I'd watch out for them wanting to tie you into a new 18 month contract rather than a 12 month one. A lot of the networks are doing that these days and dont always tell you they have done so !

For the record i have the k800i and speak VERY highly of it, however the newwer version of it is due out in the next couple of months but the ONLY difference is the actual physical appearance of the phone. The buttons are different.

You MIGHT at a stretch even find shopping about a bit would find you a better deal than they can offer, shopping about is ALWAYS worth it.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    I'd watch out for them wanting to tie you into a new 18 month contract rather than a 12 month one. A lot of the networks are doing that these days and dont always tell you they have done so !

I prefer the 18 month contract. You usually get more text and time for your money, and I can't really be arsed with the hassle of sorting a new contract out anyway, so I might as well do it less often. I've gotta get a new one this month. Think I'm gonna go for the Samsung Z720.
  • Options
    ive a k800i and its a brilliant phone, defo recommend it! :thumb:
  • Options
    I prefer the 18 month contract. You usually get more text and time for your money, and I can't really be arsed with the hassle of sorting a new contract out anyway, so I might as well do it less often. I've gotta get a new one this month. Think I'm gonna go for the Samsung Z720.

Absolutely nothing wrong with 18 month deals / contracts. I am merely saying that Networks quite often are sly and use underhand tactics to get you onto an 18 month contract without telling you it's an 18 month deal, most often done with upgrades, people who are already with them.
  • Options
    Its Silent Communications that keep on phoning, I phoned up orange and questioned it and they said they have a few companies working with them doing upgrades etc but I'd only do it through Orange least I know they are genuine!
    I keep on getting calls, then Orange started to call me too, I answered it once and they said they'd also been trying to contact me but they have stopped now.
    The W850i yeh I'm not too fussed on that to be honest.
    I'm gonna leave it want the K800i in silver if it comes on Orange!
    Thanks for your help!

Can't wait now, cos gone over my 500 messages in a week so need the new contract to start asap!!! I liked the W880i or whatever it is but it doesn't have a radio and I use the radio often so think I'll get the K800i, gonna have it for 18 months tho but its all good! hopeully get £100 credit free too so that'll be a bonus!!!
  • Options
    Can't wait now, cos gone over my 500 messages in a week so need the new contract to start asap!!! I liked the W880i or whatever it is but it doesn't have a radio and I use the radio often so think I'll get the K800i, gonna have it for 18 months tho but its all good! hopeully get £100 credit free too so that'll be a bonus!!!

I've got the W880i in silver. Is gorgeous and I love it. Didn't like it in the black and orange though which is what most networks are doing it in. But yeah if you want a radio it's not for you. I never used that function on my old phone though so wasn't an issue for me. K800i is too bulky for my liking.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I've got the W880i in silver. Is gorgeous and I love it. Didn't like it in the black and orange though which is what most networks are doing it in. But yeah if you want a radio it's not for you. I never used that function on my old phone though so wasn't an issue for me. K800i is too bulky for my liking.

How did you get it in silver?????
    I think thats the one I'm going for like, I don't use the radio that much to be honest, maybe 5 times in a year!!! so maybe better to get the W880i!!!
  • Options
    We just got a letter in the post that looks like it's from Virgin Media but then at the bottom there's a mobile phone contact number and some sales rep who's happy to come to our house if need be ... :eek2:
  • Options
    How did you get it in silver?????
    I think thats the one I'm going for like, I don't use the radio that much to be honest, maybe 5 times in a year!!! so maybe better to get the W880i!!!

Carphone warehouse do it in silver for the t-mobile or o2 networks and a few other places online are the same. Vodafone are meant to be doing it in store. O2 say they won't ever be getting it, orange say they may online but not in store.