Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Roasts... stupid question?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay - I've always wondered something. I'm currently roasting a nice Lamb joint :yum: and as per usual on the roasting instructions there's 'leave 10 minutes before serving'

Now maybe I'm missing the point, and maybe it's because I love burning hot roast meat - but what is that wait about - will it taste better, is it so it cools, will it carve better?

I have the sneaking suspicion this is a stupid and obvious question - but what the hell, any ideas why I should wait 10 minutes before tucking in?

Comments

• Options
    I think it's something to do with the way the meat relaxes as it cools, releasing the flavours & juices making it even tastier. not entirely sure :)

probably something heston blumenwhatsisface would know about, science of food stuff, it's pretty interesting :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, as when the meat is hot hot hot, the fibres in it are really tense. If you leave it for 10-15 mins before carving, the meat relaxes so the juices are spread better throughout and it'll carve much better.
  • Options
    Okay dokey - I'll wait for once :)
  • Options
    Yeah, it will be much easier to carve if you let it rest.

Its the same with all meat you should let it rest after coming out the oven/pan.

(Now for the science part :D )

When you cook meat the proteins are heated during cooking. The heat drives this liquid toward the center of the meat.

As meat rests, the process is partially reversed. The moisture that is driven toward the center of the meat is redistributed.

As a result, less juice runs out of the meat when you cut into it.

Enjoy :thumb:
  • Options
    You don't watch UKTV Food do you :p
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Okay dokey - I'll wait for once :)

... can I have some? :angel:
  • Options
    Why? Because when you heat protein (which is what meat is) it shrinks and toughens. Allowing it to relax and cool a little restores some of its elasticity.

However it will continue to cook for a while after leaving the oven and the internal temperature will increase by as much as a further 10 degrees. Which is why you need a good 20 minutes resting time.
    http://www.thestarwoking.co.uk/articles/article.php?id=6
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    You don't watch UKTV Food do you :p

Sadly I have no TV anymore :( damn I miss cable