Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help - GHDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm probably going to get my girlfriend GHD's for her birthday, not very original I know but its in two weeks, and I won't start shopping until the day before, har har.

Anyway, is it worth getting the 2007 model or just looking for a cheap MK3 model that is now end of line somewhere ?

Obviously if they are cheaper this means she will get more towards her birthday haircut I am booking her in secret (I am such an awesome boyfriend).

But anyway, whats the best place to get em, and what would you recommend?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I can't really help with your original question because I haven't tried the 2007 model, but I got a new pair of the normal model the other day from www.hqhair.com they were £89 :] and were delivered reeeally quickly. I ordered them Friday afternoon and they came Saturday morning!

My original GHD's blew up :eek2: but I'd had them about a year and a half...
  • Options
    I bought the old model from hq hair the other week for just over £80. The only difference with the new model is that it's rounder.
  • Options
    Get the newer model because my hairdresser said they brought out the newer model because the older model has a higher temperature and so really damages te hair. And I know there are products you can buy like heat sprays but GHD actually made the choice to stop making the higher temp ones because people were going into salons to get their roots done yet their hair hadn't got any longer! And its because the heat made the hair break off. I'm sure the newer model will still be very good :) I think you can get pink ones now too! Although I don't know which model they are.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    because people were going into salons to get their roots done yet their hair hadn't got any longer! And its because the heat made the hair break off.

how does that one work?

if the hair breaks off, it doesnt snap at the root so i dont get how the hair snapping would make your roots bigger :confused:

or does she mean it looks like it hasnt grown because its snapped? (i doubt it because then it'd all had to have snapped at the same length)

snapping hair has nothing to do with colour, so i dont see how GHD's can affect ya roots :confused:

hmm weird!
  • Options
    why dont you get her the gift set from the ghd website, i got one of those last summer and you get everything in there. The brush, clips, shampoo and conditioner, and the heat protecting and styling stuff. And i think it was 110quid.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    how does that one work?

if the hair breaks off, it doesnt snap at the root so i dont get how the hair snapping would make your roots bigger :confused:

or does she mean it looks like it hasnt grown because its snapped? (i doubt it because then it'd all had to have snapped at the same length)

snapping hair has nothing to do with colour, so i dont see how GHD's can affect ya roots :confused:

hmm weird!

What??

The high heat of GHDs weakens your hair. When your hair gets really weak it starts to break at the ends. Not split ends, but properly snapping off. So what was happening was women with coloured hair who came in to get their roots done looked as if their hair hadn't grown much because their hair was snapping off at the ends. And its because they were using GHDs on a daily basis. This is why GHD started making the new model which has a lower heat.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the new style GHDs and know if they're as effective as the old ones? I'm considering a purchase too!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Does anyone have the new style GHDs and know if they're as effective as the old ones? I'm considering a purchase too!

me me me!

I got them for my birthday yesterday, although i will admit the only reason i wanted them was because they turn themselves off if not in use after 15 minutes, and i do have an annoying tendancy to walk away and forget about things...
    But anyway, yes still good, but then i would hope so for the price :p although i'm sure according to the booklet they are hotter than the other ones?
    Another bonus point they come with a 2 year guarentee which is better than the 1 year that the older ones came with, and as my 2 year one was up on my t3's i thought i'd give it a bash.
    The barrel is rounder so if you like doing the curly/wave thing it's easier for that, you also get a dvd telling you how to do your hair in different styles and you get a little passport thing which when you register on the internet you get a free bottle of the ghd heat protection spray thing posted to you through the post, and it's a full size bottle as well which i was suprised about because they normally are about a tenner.
  • Options
    What??

The high heat of GHDs weakens your hair. When your hair gets really weak it starts to break at the ends. Not split ends, but properly snapping off. So what was happening was women with coloured hair who came in to get their roots done looked as if their hair hadn't grown much because their hair was snapping off at the ends. And its because they were using GHDs on a daily basis. This is why GHD started making the new model which has a lower heat.
    :eek2:

i get what u mean no you've explained it a bit better, but i dont see how ALL the hair can snap at the same level and make it look like it hasnt grown, it'd have to snap pretty neatly and evenly :chin:

i can understand the odd snap, but for a whole head's worth to snap at the same length and make the hair shorter is a bit weird

i've used ghd's for 3 years and on fully bleached hair and never had any breakage, suppose it depends on the condition and type of hair u have :thumb:

p.s to anyone who has the new ones, how much were they?x
  • Options
    I (well my dad) got mine from here

http://www.salonlines.co.uk/hair-straighteners/ghd-straighteners/ghd-straightener-mk4/

They work out as £108 including delivery when he bought them 2 weeks ago, and checking now that works out the same, it was the cheapest i found them.
    But, they came really badly packaged and the casing for the heat mat and the shampoo stuf you get with it was all crushed, and they actually bag they came in was coming apartand you could see the box . He wrote to emails complaining but heard nothing back, was just a bit rubbish as they were a present but hey ho, so i won't be raving about their packaging or customer service but everywhere else on the net when i looked they were about £115, although if you googled now you might find other websites doing them cheaper now.
  • Options
    thanks hun :)

do u still just have to go over the hair once? and does it stay straight? i`m a sucker for straight hair and worry that less heat will mean less straight haha x
  • Options
    :eek2:

i get what u mean no you've explained it a bit better, but i dont see how ALL the hair can snap at the same level and make it look like it hasnt grown, it'd have to snap pretty neatly and evenly :chin:

i can understand the odd snap, but for a whole head's worth to snap at the same length and make the hair shorter is a bit weird

i've used ghd's for 3 years and on fully bleached hair and never had any breakage, suppose it depends on the condition and type of hair u have :thumb:

p.s to anyone who has the new ones, how much were they?x
    I'm only telling you what my stylist told me :)
  • Options
    I'm only telling you what my stylist told me :)

i get that hun, i werent havin a go....just dont understand how it could happen thats all :)
  • Options
    thanks hun :)

do u still just have to go over the hair once? and does it stay straight? i`m a sucker for straight hair and worry that less heat will mean less straight haha x

Yeah just the once.
    Well i say that but with whatever straighteners i have i do my whole head and then any kinky bits i go over those bits again, but then my hair is a stubborn bitch!
  • Options
    Get them off ASOS, theyve got the bran new ones and old ones,,,find a discount code and you'll get many pennies off!! =D xx
  • Options
    you're not supposed to use GHDs on a daily basis anyway. As long as you don't abuse your hair with them, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    You can use GHD's as often as you like, as long as you don't mind your hair becoming a complete mess of split ends and damage.
  • Options
    i must be really lucky

i use mine daily, sometimes twice if i`ve been piddled on and my hairs in good nick!
  • Options
    Actually, saying that, I use GHD's every other day and people are surprised as hell when I tell them I use GHD's because it's in such good condition.

According to GHD themselves, the heat locks the moisture into the hair....
  • Options
    Corioliss NOT ghd!

go and check out www.corioliss.com they are SO much better than GHD! They even come in a great Red Leopard print! PERFECT for presents!
  • Options
    Corioliss wrote: »
    go and check out www.corioliss.com they are SO much better than GHD! They even come in a great Red Leopard print! PERFECT for presents!

See what you did there :thumb: