Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Will you have the right information?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Will you leave school, college or university with the necessary skills and information required for survival in the real world?

Am not sure you will, I never did and neither did any of my friends. We graduated with good grades and brains full of information, problem was the information we had was the wrong type. It wasn’t adequate for the real world. We have since learnt the right information, albeit the hard way.

Will you know how to make money, move up the career ladder, handle office politics, be more productive and sail through life with as little stress as possible? No, not with the current educational system. You see what you will be taught is liberal education. You will be taught to respond, to fit in, and work slavishly in a system that in most cases will fail you.

You will not be taught practical education or how to think, the very thing you need to live a fulfilling life. Some people (myself included) through one thing or the other stop to think, and during this thinking process realise something is wrong with the system. You realise it can’t be right, life is not just about work, and money isn’t just about working hard and so on.

Realising you were ill equipped, you start on the journey of re-educating yourself, learning the right type of information. You learn that, understanding and knowing how to communicate with people, and knowing how to solve problems is the fastest way to climb the career ladder, make money and live a happy life.

The good news?

Time is on your side. You can prevent ending up in the bored room by changing the way you think now.

Sincerely,
Seyi

Comments

• Options
    Will you leave school, college or university with the necessary skills and information required for survival in the real world?

No. I have a feeling i'm going to drop dead as soon as i graduate.
  • Options
    No. We were never told about any money matters or anything about living. All they were interested in was us getting an education, going to uni, graduating and getting a decent job.
  • Options
    Did someone beat you with the optimism stick?

I'm at uni to get a degree, not aquire all the life skills I need (who gets them anyway?). Time and experience are the best factors contributing to that.
  • Options
    Rubbish! Seriously! Education is just one part of an individuals life, learning about life and being prepared for life and a career is something you learn on the way from your personal experiences, the people you meet, the hobbies you have and so on, education of course plays a major part in that process but I think what you have said is utterly ridiculous, it sounds like your trying to sell something!!!
    seyi wrote: »
    Will you know how to make money, move up the career ladder, handle office politics, be more productive and sail through life with as little stress as possible?

If people didn't know how to make money and move up the career ladder, this country would not be where it is today, we would not be one of the wealthiest countrys' in the world. If people in this country weren't productive we wouldn't have new businesses.

Sailing through life with as little stress as possible :chin: Well wouldn't that be wonderful, but get real, stress will always be a factor, exams, reports, housemates, family, depression, debt, partners, illness, death, these are just some of the millions of stressful things people have to deal with on a daily basis. Being succesful at work or having the knowledge that we are "ill equipped" and having the opportunity to re-educate ourselves is not going to detract from stress.
  • Options
    I'm surprised this got moved to P&D. I was gonna report it as spam until my computer had a mini crash. I dunno what those links in the signature go to, but I smell a tinned meat product.
  • Options
    ah didn't see the sig links, and it did smell spammy, but not without the links - I'll go remove them and see how things go
  • Options
    yes

of course, its mostly life experneice and learnign how to complete ask and work
  • Options
    why would you want to be taught how to think? independent thinking is the key to creativity, anyone in an environment that demands innovation needs to maximise creativity. I for one am very adverse to working somewhere uninspiring, boring, and full of idiots.

I'll dread the day when I find my self on the inside of office politics looking out, unable to mock the fact that's it's all pointless and rubbish.

I've managed to avoid those things thus far. hopefully I'll be accepted on a PhD somewhere and put it off for another 4 years, and then maybe become an academic. :lol:

stress is a waste of my time, I intend to reduce it in every way possible. I do not thrive on stress, I am very aware of how it makes people feel, and thus attempting to reduce it is the best solution :)
  • Options
    The thing my employers like best about me is how easy going I am, and my ability to handle work without getting stressed (which of course means that it's more accurate because you can think straight). They also like the fact that I can work independently and manage my time effectively. I think one of the biggest mistakes an employer can make is to get the right person in the right role, but then want to hold their hand the entire time, and not give them the freedom to do their job (which inevitably, they are generally more qualified than the boss to do). I think that this is one of the main stumbling blocks between graduates, who are used to having huge freedom, and employers who want to know about every little bit of what and how you're doing. I've had this a little bit with my boss, but generally he's said "I want this, this and this doing. I don't care how or when you do it, just do it."

And as for communicating with people, I don't know how anyone can claim that university isn't the best thing in the world for learning how to communicate with a large number of new people from different backgrounds, and with different world views. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the social aspect of university is the most important aspect, especially if you come from an area where there is little variety in the types of people you will encounter every day.
  • Options
    Re: Will you have the right information?

Thanks for reading and commenting, I believe I have achieved my aim which was to get a discussion going. Now my response,

go_away wrote
    I'm at uni to get a degree, not aquire all the life skills I need (who gets them anyway?). Time and experience are the best factors contributing to that.

Yes, time and experience is good, but is there any point in learning from scratch what others before you have learnt? Consider the time wasted learning something you later found out could have been done in a better and quicker way. I prefer to build on what others have learnt, but that's just me.

Pink_Angel wrote
    Rubbish! Seriously! Education is just one part of an individuals life

Education is just one but "very" important part. The first 5 years of a child are the most important because his/her character etc is formed during this period. It is always difficult to change later in life if the child had a "difficult" upbringing. So it is with education.
    If people didn't know how to make money and move up the career ladder, this country would not be where it is today, we would not be one of the wealthiest countrys' in the world. If people in this country weren't productive we wouldn't have new businesses.

Aha...what percentage make money, create the wealth in these country?
    very small..less than 10% Also do you know that a high percentage of these people were not contrained by our "educational system" of "dont do this", "do that", "this is how it is done"

Yes, stress is part of life but guess what, you can live with as little stress as possible if you dont get caught up living our peoples lives.

Replicant wrote
    why would you want to be taught how to think? independent thinking is the key to creativity, anyone in an environment that demands innovation needs to maximise creativity. I for one am very adverse to working somewhere uninspiring, boring, and full of idiots.

When i say "taught how to think", I mean our education is very structured, very few people stop to think at all, about their day, what life is really about, why they are doing what they are doing.

You will be surprised at how many people do the same thing repeatedly even though it has never got them anything. Thinking is something few people do...but something can learn to start doing

I'm With Stupid wrote
    I don't know how anyone can claim that university isn't the best thing in the world for learning how to communicate with a large number of new people from different backgrounds

Its one thing to have mixed with people at univeristy, its another to know how to deal with them in everyday life. Most of the problems we have stem from how we communicate with people. Going to university is irrelevant to how to talk to people.

Dont get me wrong....Getting an education is great, but ever better is having one which is flexibly and practical for everyday life. The current system restricts us creating our own life.
  • Options
    When i say "taught how to think", I mean our education is very structured, very few people stop to think at all, about their day, what life is really about, why they are doing what they are doing.
    I agree this may be true in school and to some extent college, but I don't see how anyone could do a degree and claim that that's the way it is.
    Its one thing to have mixed with people at univeristy, its another to know how to deal with them in everyday life. Most of the problems we have stem from how we communicate with people. Going to university is irrelevant to how to talk to people.
    Well I don't know about your course, but on mine there was quite a bit of group activities, where people were forced to communicate and work together. And we were forced to take different roles for different tasks, to give everyone the opportunity to experience other people's roles and the type of information and support they need to do their job. That is something which is impossible in a professional environment.

But you keep claiming that all of these problems exist with our education system, without giving any specific examples. Maybe if you did, I'd have more of an idea of what you're getting at.
  • Options
    I don't think Iwas prepared enough for life when I left school. Part parent fault part education fault.
    We learn from mistakes though and I will go on to try and prepare my future children. No doubt I will make mistakes though.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    No. We were never told about any money matters or anything about living. All they were interested in was us getting an education, going to uni, graduating and getting a decent job.

Why would you be ? Who tells ppl that dont graduate etc?
  • Options
    tbh, you're just taught how to pass exams. Which i think is why there seems to be such a huge number of over qualified but under experienced students leaving uni. This is why i'm considering not going to uni until i'm older.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    tbh, you're just taught how to pass exams. Which i think is why there seems to be such a huge over qualified but under experienced students leaving uni. This is why i'm considering not going to uni until i'm older.

Which is what I've found as well. Never got taught anything 'pratical' like about finances and stuff like that.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    tbh, you're just taught how to pass exams. Which i think is why there seems to be such a huge over qualified but under experienced students leaving uni. This is why i'm considering not going to uni until i'm older.

Im with ya on that one.
  • Options
    there is a reason why formal education doesn't prepare you for the real world, it's designed not to.
  • Options
    Senor Miguel wrote:
    there is a reason why formal education doesn't prepare you for the real world, it's designed not to.

This is exactly my point
  • Options
    Shouldn't it be your parents who teach "life skills" and the school who covers "academic" skills?
  • Options
    Shouldn't it be your parents who teach "life skills" and the school who covers "academic" skills?

schools can't even get the academic bit right, a graduate i work with asked me today is "at least" one word or two words... :rolleyes: he's not a plank either, quite the opposite, just goes to show what a shocking level of education people receive these days.
  • Options
    schools can't even get the academic bit right.

Indeed they can't.
  • Options
    My school was crap and because I have learning difficulties I taught myself how to write, I taught myself paragraphs and science... As for university?

Academically, you don't learn a lot about life in your studies, but for many students it is the opportunity to live away from home and doing that you learn life skills. You learn to cook, hopefully to manage time, you learn social skills, you learn to be independent.

At the same time, I don't think students should be going to university until they're at least 20 and have worked full time.
  • Options
    schools can't even get the academic bit right.

Why do you think that is?

Do you think that political interference might play a part...?
  • Options
    I learnt practically nothing of use in the outside world whilst at college or uni, except how to drink.
    I don't think I matured until I joined the police, and i only truly began to learn about life once I was settled and dealing with the myriads of different people out there.