Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Information Leaflets That Come With Medicines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whenever I've bought medicines over the counter they've always come with an information leaflet - with possible side effects, and extra information on them

However I've noticed if I get stuff on the NHS prescription system they get packaged in plain boxes with no information leaflets at all, is this standard practise or depends on where you get the prescription filled?

Was prescribed antibiotics a few days ago and no information came with them but typing in the name of the drug in google give me loads of pages of possible sideffects, including stomach pains which I'm getting.

Comments

• Options
    I've always had leaflets with my medicines, NHS prescribed or otherwise.

In fact the only thing that I haven't was the cough medicine they prescribed me a few weeks ago and a quick tap into Google revealed everything I needed to know (i.e not much)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I've always had leaflets with my medicines, NHS prescribed or otherwise.

:yes:
  • Options
    I usually try and go to my local chemist around the corner rather then the big companies (bit of local support for smaller businesses)

All there is .. is a plain white box with a label they've printed themselves saying take one a day, do not take iron or zinc at the same time, etc

It's not so bad for me cos I can at least go online and look stuff up, but I reckon a lot of retired people go to places like that and wouldn't even think to question what they've been prescribed.
  • Options
    Well, I received two sets of tablets the other day and neither of them have come with a leaflet.

It just has a sticker on the box telling me when to take them, how many to take and what not to do whilst taking them. These are ones prescribed by the doctor though, not bought over the counter.
  • Options
    The sticker should contain the important information.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The sticker should contain the important information.

The sticker doesn't have enough room for all this

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682063.html

The sticker has enough space for 5 lines of information.

It doesn't tell you you can get really bad stomach aches, or having the medicine with milk can help the aches but reduce how well it works.

The first time I took the tablets I went out driving to the shops and started getting bad stomach aches in the car. This is certainly the first time I've had such a reaction to an antibiotic. And I did ask the doctor at the time, does it matter if I take it on a full stomach or empty, etc and he said it didn't matter.. well obviously according to the information online it does. .. and what was worse was he said take 2 tablets the first time and then 1 a day, so I got double dose of the side effects the first time.

I pay for my prescriptions and in a lot of cases I think the £6.60p is well over priced - especially when you later find out (not in this case but previous ones) the same medicines can be bought without a prescription over the counter for a lot less and come better packaged with a lot more information.

And I've just come back from a trip to India where I've seen the same medicines from the same companies that I pay £6.60p for her being sold as little as 16p there ..
  • Options
    I was on antibiotics a couple of months ago for tonsilitis and they came in a white box without instructions.
    I think it has to do with the type of medication...
    All the POM Painkillers I've had recently have all had info leaflets and were in a branded box.
  • Options
    Well, I received two sets of tablets the other day and neither of them have come with a leaflet.

It just has a sticker on the box telling me when to take them, how many to take and what not to do whilst taking them. These are ones prescribed by the doctor though, not bought over the counter.

I've found this in the past as well - the last lot of tbalets I was on (about 2 years ago) all it said was when & how to take them and not what to do with them. (as in, take on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour after)
  • Options
    I think you should be careful what information about drugs you trust when getting it off the internet.
    I'm sure that mostly they put the relavent and most important information on the packets when they don't also include a leaflet.

Maybe you could suggest to your pharmacy that they put info leaflets in their medicines? Or go to one of the more well known places... I've never been given anything without an info leaflet. To be honest, most of the information is hardly ever relavent and I think most people would think to check with their doctor if they got weird symptoms whilst taking a new drug. :)
  • Options
    my old GP used to google stuff while he was talking to me...
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    my old GP used to google stuff while he was talking to me...

But wouldn't he know more alot about what was true and what wasn't?
  • Options
    It depends on the quantity you're prescribed and luck. If you're prescribed 5days worth of penicillin, you'll need 20tablets. They usually come in a box of 28 so the pharmacy will have to put your 20 into a white box. Or painkillers are usually in boxes of 100, if you only need 60-you probably wont get the original box with the info leaflet. Sometimes your prescription might use up the end of a packet so you'll get the info leaflet still in it.
    If you want the leaflet just pop back into the pharmacy and im sure they'll give you a leaflet out of another box.

I always find www.netdoctor.co.uk useful.

What antibiotics are they?
  • Options
    The person prescribing it should give you enough information and any further questions you have you should ask them or the pharmacist. Most of the time reading the list of potential side effects is a pointless exericise and they are almost always the same and there's not a lot you can do about it anyway.
  • Options
    It means that the pharmacy is giving you the cheapest available version of the drug. There should always be an information leaflet and if there isn't then you should ask for one. If you have side effects etc and haven't been given a leaflet I would complain!
  • Options
    I always get the leaflets with my medicines.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But wouldn't he know more alot about what was true and what wasn't?

probably not tbh, but that's only because he's a functionally illiterate twat.
  • Options
    It doest mean the pharmacy is giving you the cheapest version of the drug because generics have to have info leaflets.

Like ive said, If your prescription is using only a part pack then you might not get one. Or if the pharmacy orders in tablets in tubs of 100 or 1000, then its likely to come in a medicine bottle without a leaflet.
    Just ask for one-theyll usually have one somewhere to give you or photocopy for you.
  • Options
    You should be getting all the info you need with your medications, not quite sure why you wouldn't get a patient info leaflet with your meds. Be wary of drug information online and if you need to get information off the net use a source such as www.bnf.org. you need to register with it but its free and reliable.
  • Options
    jane_lane wrote: »
    You should be getting all the info you need with your medications, not quite sure why you wouldn't get a patient info leaflet with your meds. Be wary of drug information online and if you need to get information off the net use a source such as www.bnf.org. you need to register with it but its free and reliable.

It is free, and reliable, but it's very difficult to follow if you don't have any medical background whatsoever. I've got a hardcopy and find it difficult to understand on occassion because I don't know all the 'technical' terms for side effects etc.
    It doest mean the pharmacy is giving you the cheapest version of the drug because generics have to have info leaflets

Sorry, just what the local pharmacist told me once. :confused: