Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My Dad's High blood pressure & Drink. Please help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm concerned about my Dad because he has high blood pressure... he's been on tablets for it for a few years, then this year they stopped working; they tried him on different tablets and they haven't worked either... so now he's on his third set of meds to try and help it...
Hypertension runs through my family; his mum has high blood pressure too and has been on tablets for years... and his dad died aged 63 from a heart attack. :yeees:

The thing is... I know my dad is terrified of dying young like his dad, but he's sort of gone into some kind of denile about what he's doing to his body.

He doesn't smoke; but he regularly goes out into really smokey atomospheres (maybe 3 times a week... possibly more) - it stinks enough to smell it on him from a couple of meters away when he gets back home.
He cooks low salt at home, but he often eats out (also eating hot and spicey food which he shouldn't be doing either cos he's just had throat surgery and it's bad for him :rolleyes: )
He also drinks too much... and I suspect he has a drink problem but he gets all defensive when the subject is brought up, and basically refuses to even try giving up for his health's sake.
Also, while I'm glad he has a great social life, he does still stay out until the early hours of the morning a couple of nights a week and he's 56 years old, which maybe means he's not got the same stamina as a younger guy... and I don't think that helps. He has a habit of falling asleep at his computer desk and snoring the house down. Plus he's sometimes on-call cos he works at a hospital so he regularly has disturbed nights sleep. So I don't think he's getting near enough sleep either.

He's also got it into his head that because the hypertension is a hereditary thing, changing his lifestyle won't help at all... so he won't bother trying. :banghead:

I really don't know what to do... cos if he carries on like this then it won't be long until his heart suffers from it and I'm Dad-less. :(

Does anyone have any bright ideas how I can persuade him that he needs to think of making some changes in his life...
And also how I could possibly broach the subject of his drinking habbits without him feeling I'm on his case? :confused:

I'm beginning to think I'll have to resort to using scare tactics, but I don't want to upset him. :(

Comments

• Options
    Start cooking him a lot of stuff with Garlic in it

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension.htm

Smoking ban comes in soon enough so I'm sure he'll be hanging around less smokey places soon.
  • Options
    Yeah thanks for that Diamond :p

He does eat a lot of garlic anyway actually.
  • Options
    Have you tried talking to him? Sit him down tell him how concerned for him you are and worried about losing him. If he still seems as though he's in denial about it get lots of literature for you and him to look through together so he feels as though, (which I'm sure he does anyway), he can always talk to you if he needs to.
  • Options
    There's also lots of herbs that help in high blood pressure - go visit a health food store and ask the people that work there they're usually very knowledgeable

http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/herbs_hawthorne.html

Hawthorne is an excellent cardiotonic

It functions by peripheral vasodilation; very mild dilation of coronary vessels; increased enzyme metabolism in the heart muscle; and increased oxygen utilization by the heart.

A noted expert in the area maintains that hawthorn drugs are characterized by three basic healing properties which complement one another:

1. Improvement of coronary blood supply which leads to a decreased frequency of anginal attacks and of subjective complaints.

2. Improvement of the metabolic processes in the myocardium, which results in an improvement of functional heart activity.

3. Abolition of some types of rhythm disturbances.
  • Options
    changing a lifestyle would help but its about balance rather than cutting things out completely (although that would probably help even more). tbh it sounds like your dad just wants to have a good time. and he is trying, but not all the time with everything. lots and lots of people in their 50s are on tablets for high blood pressure, it is a common thing. - thats not saying its a healthy thing but if you talk honestly to your dad about your concerns that might help a lot more than trickery or scare tactics.
  • Options
    lots and lots of people in their 50s are on tablets for high blood pressure, it is a common thing.

Yes, but they actually work on most people... they've completly stopped working on my dad, it seems... which is why I reckon he could do with at least trying cutting stuff like alcohol out... Obviously I don't want him to completly change his life so he can no longer enjoy it.
    but if you talk honestly to your dad about your concerns that might help a lot more than trickery or scare tactics.

I have tried talking to him... many times... It's just I'm always at a bit of a loss as to what to say. It's difficult to begin the conversation, and then I don't feel like he listens at all. :yeees:
    I had another attempt this morning but he started doing something else while I was talking to him. :rolleyes:

Ho hum... least I try.
  • Options
    Feb's national geographic magazine woulda made him change his lifestyle.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    Feb's national geographic magazine woulda made him change his lifestyle.

How so?
  • Options
    cos the main section was all about heart attacks - reasons, how to prevent, chances of survival etc etc