Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

aching after excercise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how normal is it to have you muscles ache/hurt the next day after doing some weights? did some yesterday (a lot with a small weight, not big weights). i dont normally ache so much, and its only my left bicep.

i would expect your arms to feel a bit tight or something maybe. is it just cos i maybe did too many?

for the record, i never do it 2 days in a row, i try and do 3 times a week, but usually its twice.

if i keep my arm bent its ok, but it then hurts to extend it.

is it better to keep stretching it if there is pain to stop it seizing up so much, or to keep it still?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    I used to get sore/tight muscles after working with the weights, but I've found that if I have a protein shake straight afterwards, followed by enough protein in the day, I'm not so sore the next day.
  • Options
    When your muscles ache the next day, you know youve given them a good work out. Good on ya. Are you gettin cramps?
  • Options
    Aching muscles is normally due to lactic acid build up and is completely unnecessary and totally aviodable. Just just need to do keep moving, but not working hard to clear it out. Heart rate and blood flow up enough, but not a lot.
  • Options
    When u ache the next day its due to microscopic tears in the muscle fibres and can last for many days depending on the severity. Its known as DOMS. Ultimately you shouldnt completely rest when this happens as you will loose all the conditioning you have built up through training.

What sort of training are you doing because if you start at too high an intensity the body will be overloaded too much and wont develop effectively?

Aching after exercise is definately not a good thing!