Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good campsite in Derby / Leicester?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey, going away for Easter for a few days, any suggestions? Would prefer somewhere basic and smallish, preferably one with no chavs, last year our camping break was almost ruined by a group of noisy drunk 14 year olds, but that was at billing aquadrome... which I think is a bit more commercial.

Just want somewhere to camp, do a bbq and go for walks, and chill out really.

Should also mention we'll be staying in a tent :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    well there's the peak district in derbyshire - it's huge so i dunno what campsites they have.
  • Options
    I went to a brilliant one, tents already up, dining hall with kitchen and utillities, bunk bed dorm and showers, in the middle of a big forest just outside of matlock.
    I'll find the details for you!
    They just had alottery grant to do up the big pond and stuff.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I went to a brilliant one, tents already up, dining hall with kitchen and utillities, bunk bed dorm and showers, in the middle of a big forest just outside of matlock.
    I'll find the details for you!
    They just had alottery grant to do up the big pond and stuff.

oh yes matlock is nice
  • Options
    am i being stupid, or is it not very possible to fit bunk beds and a shower in a tent?
  • Options
    Yea we have our own tent and mini stove, we like doing the 'great outdoors' experience mainly, it's nice to have a pub within 10 minutes walking distance or so, but it's not crucial. Mainly it's just a get away from everything break.

But the details would be great :thumb:
  • Options
    b u m p :)
  • Options
    Sorry babe, off to watch the footy tonight. I shall report back tomoz x
  • Options
    I reccommend this place, it's not fantastically basic but it IS nice and it's brilliant for walking.

http://www.callowtop.co.uk/welcome.htm

If you really want basic I know of a site near Wolvey that hasn't even got toilets. :p

Not surprised you didn't like Billings Aquadrome. :no:
  • Options
    That looks nice miffy, I've sent them off an email enqiry :thumb:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hey, going away for Easter for a few days, any suggestions? Would prefer somewhere basic and smallish, preferably one with no chavs, last year our camping break was almost ruined by a group of noisy drunk 14 year olds, but that was at billing aquadrome... which I think is a bit more commercial.

Just want somewhere to camp, do a bbq and go for walks, and chill out really.

Should also mention we'll be staying in a tent :D

There's a fantastic site in Monyash (just past Bakewell/Matlock) very very basic, just a few fairly large fields set next to a farm, with basic toilet/showers (great for a weekend, not ideal for a week!)

A village pub/shop about a mile walk away, aside from that, nothing but hills lol.

We usually go in a group, take a BBQ and plenty of beers, never had any trouble from other people or the farmer, if you're interested i'll try and get details of it, since it's rather out of the way it can be a right pain to find.

But it's definantly a case of making your own entertainment once your there
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    There's a fantastic site in Monyash (just past Bakewell/Matlock) very very basic, just a few fairly large fields set next to a farm, with basic toilet/showers (great for a weekend, not ideal for a week!)

A village pub/shop about a mile walk away, aside from that, nothing but hills lol.

Is it this one?

http://www.lathkilldalecampsite.co.uk/Pics.htm
  • Options
    And there's also this one. Can't give a personal recommendation for this one though cause not camped there.

http://www.derbyshirehills.co.uk/
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »

I think that's the one, looks like it from a few of the pictures, but i guess most around there will look like that!

The farmer who runs it is great, we asked if he could sell us any chocolate, he said "no problem" went to the fridge and got us some, as we were walking back to the car, we heard his wife shouting at him because he had just sold their grandkids chocolate!

If that is the place it's great, we seem to go every summer, but i suppose you could just as easily hate the place since it's very basic.
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    The farmer who runs it is great, we asked if he could sell us any chocolate, he said "no problem" went to the fridge and got us some, as we were walking back to the car, we heard his wife shouting at him because he had just sold their grandkids chocolate!

If that is the place it's great, we seem to go every summer, but i suppose you could just as easily hate the place since it's very basic.

:lol: @ selling the grandchildrens' chocolate!

Yeah, it just depends what sort of thing you're after; going camping with six kids in tow I want all mod cons myself so tend to opt for places like Callow Top. :)
  • Options
    Callow top looks lovely. Really, want to avoid places with groups of singles. Families and couples only, don't want lots of drunken shouting people at 3am.

Watersports are a plus ;) but that's just for me lol.
  • Options
    Sorry about the delay - it's called Overton Park.
    http://www.outdoorequipmentstores.co.uk/camping_programme/camp_sites/index.htm
    We had a fantastic time. Hired the whole of the site out!
  • Options
    Just for the record, went ranksborough hall in Langham, near Oakham. Very nice, very cold. We were the only tent on the site.... £11 a night and we had our own private heated showers / toilet block, and a lovely shop within 60 seconds walk that did cobs and everything.