Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best Dylan Album?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Any Bob Dylan fans on here? What's your favourite Dylan album and song?

I've just bought 3 to add to the 3 I already owned, but I've only listened to Blonde On Blonde so far. But it goes right to the top of the list, I think it's awesome. It doesn't have the one or two standout songs of some of the other albums, but as a whole, I prefer it. I liked Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61, but not so much The Times Are A Changin' compared to the others at least. I've still got The Freewheelin' and Bringing It All Back Home to listen to though.

And my favourite song has to be Rolling Stone or Tangled Up In Blue.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Don't really know much of his albums but my favourite song has got to be changing of the guards, brilliant song.
  • Options
    Any Bob Dylan fans on here?

Are you kidding :razz:
    What's your favourite Dylan album and song?

My favourite album is Bringing It All Back Home and my favourite of his songs is on there too - It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding). Though I do love She Belongs to Me and Love Minus Zero, too.

Freewheelin' is fantastic too, Hard Rain makes me cry. I suggest you listen to those two as soon as you have enough time to do them justice and really listen. The best thing about Dylan is that his songs really do never stop giving, I've been listening to him since I was in the womb and I'll never get bored. My interpretations now are wildly different to what they were when I was 8... 12... 15... 20. He is a constant inspiration to me and basically I can't express how much I love his music and poetry and art.

His self-titled debut is good too, especially Song to Woody.

My favourite songs change all the time, I have always had a soft spot for Visions of Johanna, You Ain't Goin Nowhere, All I Really Want to Do from Another Side of Bob Dylan, With God on Our Side from TTTAAC. It's considered pretty wrong among Dylan fans to like Planet Waves, but I adore it - especially You Angel You. For more cathartic moods Positively 4th Street is pretty spot on.

If you're interested in a mix of well-known hits and really obscure songs that have never otherwise been officially recorded then Biograph is a fantastic buy, it's so concise and the only such compilation of an artist's songs that I can listen to from start to finish and then over again. I especially like Lay Down Your Weary Tune.

Man I love Dylan, I could babble for hours...
  • Options
    i've got John Wesley Harding, which i've been reliably told isn't a good starting place.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    i've got John Wesley Harding, which i've been reliably told isn't a good starting place.

Yeh it wouldnt be the best album to start of listening too...id suggest the Freewheelin album or blonde on blonde...

I love dylan its so hard to pick a favourite album as i like to listen to differnt ones depending on the mood im in....
    Some of my favourite songs are;Hard Rain...When the ships come in....Song to Woddie...maggies Farm...ah i could just list them all!
  • Options
    Highway 61 without a doubt.
  • Options