Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

wireless internet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I not sure if this has already been done...

I’m having a little trouble with my network provider, NOW, cos where we live signal strength is a little weak, I’m using wireless. I’ve been with telewest and aol broadband they were alright but I would prefer a company that provides wireless not to mention decent price and great service (£20max for12month contract)…the one I’m with is pretty cheap. I don’t think I know of any that’s cheaper but like I said before signal can be dodgy, not letting me use the net for a days on end

Any tips cos I’m clueless about this stuff

Comments

• Options
    noangel wrote: »
    I not sure if this has already been done...

I’m having a little trouble with my network provider, NOW, cos where we live signal strength is a little weak, I’m using wireless. I’ve been with telewest and aol broadband they were alright but I would prefer a company that provides wireless not to mention decent price and great service (£20max for12month contract)…the one I’m with is pretty cheap. I don’t think I know of any that’s cheaper but like I said before signal can be dodgy, not letting me use the net for a days on end

Any tips cos I’m clueless about this stuff

Sorry i'm a little confused, you probably know, and i'm just reading it wrong, but the ISP has nothing to do with the strength of your wireless connection.

It's purely the environment around you VS the wireless router you have.

Switching ISPs will make little difference, unless they are offering something special in the way of the wireless router (Perhaps BTs wireless Hub thing is good?) Probably easier to invest in a decent router with an aerial extender thing to boost the range?

(Sorry like i say, i may have the wrong end of the stick here, just how im reading it)
  • Options
    I’m with Now, which uses radio signals, everytime I wanna go online I have to open up a dialer and connect, sometimes it don’t work. Had their technical staff round a few times to fix it but I’m on my 3rd modem (I’ve got an aerial extender, move the damn thing around my house etc no joy)

My mean problem is should I go back to using another and ditch now. If so which one (basic wireless pkg, you mentioned bt hub). Or is it worth sticking with now… when it connects its brill :) but when it doesn’t its soo annoying :grump:
  • Options
    When I say strength I don’t mine speed I mine constant

I’m aware it depends on the quality of the line and exchange etc which is basically the same for all ISP but I’ve never had a problem with the other providers I mentioned, just when I changed to now.

I suspect that I’m just border line of their coverage area, explaining why its difficult to receive a constant connection.
  • Options
    noangel wrote: »
    I?m with Now, which uses radio signals, everytime I wanna go online I have to open up a dialer and connect, sometimes it don?t work. Had their technical staff round a few times to fix it but I?m on my 3rd modem (I?ve got an aerial extender, move the damn thing around my house etc no joy)

My mean problem is should I go back to using another and ditch now. If so which one (basic wireless pkg, you mentioned bt hub). Or is it worth sticking with now? when it connects its brill :) but when it doesn?t its soo annoying :grump:

My friend got Now - but it didn't work in the office too well as the signal was a bit weak. But if's a nice idea if you mainly use a Laptop and want wireless internet access through out your local home town.

And for those how don't know NOW is a company that uses wireless signals to send you internet BUT it's not WiFi - it's a different spectrum and licensed and the signal goes much further then WiFi

BTW Why do you need Now? Do you NOT have a BT Phone line?