Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Having two jobs as a student

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 21, have two jobs. One in a bar, and one where I'm kept on a "casual contract" which means I can basically pick and choose my own hours.

The money taken out of my payslip each week from my barjob is ridiculous, considering I haven't worked for this other place in months so why am I being taxed so much?

Eg, last week I made £109.68, before tax.

£1.37 went to NI, and fucking £25 went to PAYE tax.

Should I go to the tax office and tell them I work for that other job very rarely?? This is me feckin rent money, leek

Comments

• Options
    You won't be able to get out of the NI (well I haven't managed to yet), but you might be able to do something about the tax. Talk to the tax office or your payroll department and see if they can help but in the meantime make sure you keep all your payslips from both jobs safe so you can get a rebate if appropriate.
  • Options
    Your allowed to earn £5,035 without paying tax.

So if you dont earn over this amount in a tax year make sure you claim all your tax back.

You may also be on the wrong tax code. Best thing to do is go into you nearest tax office and they will work out eveything your owed. (if any) and put you on the right tax code.

But if your earning over £5,035 a year you have to pay tax on the excess, student or not.

It's shit i know, but thats life :thumb:
  • Options
    Do earnings count as loans/burserys?
  • Options
    Not sure i understand? how do you mean?
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm a student. I've got a loan and bursery. Are they being counted towards my "earnings"?
  • Options
    No, not at all. earnings included everything you earn from working for an employeer, it doesnt include loans, grants etc.

However if you have swiss bank accounts and company dividends as income, i wouldnt mention these in the tax office ;)

I went to the tax office while at uni, just on the off chance to see if i was due any money. (actually i needed a playstation and had to find some money from somewhere) I left the tax office with a cheque for £700 from overpaid tax from the last 6 years.

Its worth a try :thumb:
  • Options
    Halloween wrote: »
    I'm 21, have two jobs. One in a bar, and one where I'm kept on a "casual contract" which means I can basically pick and choose my own hours.

The money taken out of my payslip each week from my barjob is ridiculous, considering I haven't worked for this other place in months so why am I being taxed so much?

Eg, last week I made £109.68, before tax.

£1.37 went to NI, and fucking £25 went to PAYE tax.

Should I go to the tax office and tell them I work for that other job very rarely?? This is me feckin rent money, leek

Sounds like the casual contract job is the job where your personal allowance of 5035 is allocated. Technically, the bar job is being correctly taxed at 22% (BR). Check the codes on your payslips.

Basically it is too late in the tax year to be messing around with it now. Any revised tax code probably won't reach your payroll in time to generate a refund. You will need to send your P60's from both jobs when you receive them after 6th April along with a complete employment history for the 2006/2007(don't leave any gaps) Add a note to ask them to split your personal allowance between your two employments and that will save you having to claim a refund at the end of 2007/2008.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    No, not at all. earnings included everything you earn from working for an employeer, it doesnt include loans, grants etc.

However if you have swiss bank accounts and company dividends as income, i wouldnt mention these in the tax office ;)

I went to the tax office while at uni, just on the off chance to see if i was due any money. (actually i needed a playstation and had to find some money from somewhere) I left the tax office with a cheque for £700 from overpaid tax from the last 6 years.

Its worth a try :thumb:

Student loans / grants are non taxable.

Company dividends and foreign bank accounts - you won't increase any tax owing by declaring these (unless you earn 38k + a year) and you won't get the tax deducted at source repaid, but you can claim credit for it. Won't hurt to declare it.

You wouldn't actually walk out the door with a cheque in your hand either, we issue them centrally. Just pointing this out so no-one thinks it actually works like that. We don't generally deal with drop in callers anymore either, the plan is you ring through to the contact centre who can generally resolve most issues over the phone. If you need to see someone in person then the contact centre will arrange for your local office to ring you and book you in for an appointment.

I'm such a pedant LOL