Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Excel issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm trying to work with some data in excel just now.

It's in the format as follows:

word f1 f2

that 546 1789
bag 645 1435
cat 735 1265
arm 578 1467

And so on.

At the moment, I'm trying to get the words in alphabetical order, but with their associated f1 and f2 values attached to them. But when I go to 'sort', all my data points move in the graph. Now, this shouldn't happen, since the data points will still have the same coordinates, no? If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be eternally grateful. If it's not clear, let me know and I can try and be more explicit.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    using the sort function in excel wont be the problem, it'll be the way your graph is interpreting the data, incorrectly.

although the data is in rows, you need to specify that the f1 and f2 are the x and y coordinates for a given point, but I'm not quite sure how you do that I'm afraid.

had a little play with excel myself, will post again if I come up with anything
  • Options
    It's all good, think I've figured it out. Problems was that I was trying to sort a data-set that was made up a) already existing data-points on the graph, and b) new ones that hadn't yet been plotted. Once I reset the source-data to incorporate every token, and then sorted it, it was all fine :)

Thanks for trying replicant :)