Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aunt and liver transplant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically my aunt has been given less than a year to live, due to her dependency on alcohol she's complettely fucked up her liver. (sclerosis?) She's been told, in no uncertain terms, that if she were to take so much as another shot of alcohol it will kill her.

The marie currie cancer care are even overlooking her case and she's moved in with my other aunt.

My mum's devestated, and wants to know why the doctor's didn't offer a transplant as an option. I'm clueless, does anyone know if it would be cancer patients that would gain priority?

Also, mum read somewhere that she can donate partial liver, but as she's getting on I told her I wouldn't want her doing it, that I would sacrifice part of mine instead. Has anyone ever heard, or done anything like this?

Comments

• Options
    Liver damage due to alcohol dependance usually recommended for the transplant waiting list because they will just do more damage to the fresh liver. It seems harsh but with a very limited supply of donor organs they have to be picky, trauma damaged patients and cancer patients have much better future prospects.
  • Options
    Yea, I figured as much. I had no sympathy for George Best but when it's family...

But what if I offer to get a tissue match done? Could they donate part of my liver to her body?
  • Options
    Don't know, sorry! I'm not sure the NHS would necessarily do it though, they may decide it's not worth the risk to you/her and the surgery costs.
  • Options
    How would you feel if you donated part of your liver and she didnt give up the alcohol?
  • Options
    Halloween wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard, or done anything like this?

it grows back!
  • Options
    How would you feel if you donated part of your liver and she didnt give up the alcohol?

I'd be doing it more for mum, because she loves her sisters even though they're all addicted to drugs/booze and are all a bit crazy in the coconut. My mum's getting on a bit and I would prefer to go through with an operation than have her do it.
  • Options
    its a damn risky thing to go through for someone who is *really* unlikely to benefit from it, and I really hope your mum wouldnt be trying to get you to do that.
    I think your mum would probably benefit from some counselling about the situation more than shed benefit from you having part of your liver cut out, because your aunt doesnt have a great chance even with your liver - if she did then they would have her on the list to recieve a transplant wouldnt they.
    Its not because theyre trying to punish her.
  • Options
    My older sister was borderline alcoholic and tried to commit suicide by ODing on paracetamol, she ended up in hospital with liver faillure and paracetamol poisoning and it was made worse due to her constant binge drinking. The doctors told her that if she has another drop of alcohol she will be without a liver and due to her alcohol level when she ODed and her usual alcohol intake and because she was an attempted suicide case she wouldnt even be put on the donor list.

But, they also did tell her that if she totally gives up the alcohol her liver will gradually recover, but it will never be 100% healthy. Has your aunt had any counselling, my sister was forced into counselling and is making huge progress...she's given up both drinking and drugs and is picking up with her life.

I know my story isnt an answer, but i know how you feel...i would want to save my sisters life but unless i had some sort of assurance that she wouldnt go back to drinking, drugs and try to commit suicide again i wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.

I agree that your mum probably shouldnt donate part of her liver, but if you decide to...make sure it isn't for a lost cause.
  • Options
    isnt cirrhosis of the liver a chronic condition that doest improve though? Its where you're past it being able to repair itself?? The liver is scarred.

If its self-inflicted, transplant probably isnt going to be the priority.
  • Options
    Getting put on the Transplant list goes off a number of different things, yes it makes a difference whether the problems are alcoholic or cancer but it isnt just that what gets looked at. Everything about the person gets looked into, not just their lifestyle.
    Ive just finished working on a Liver Transplant Ward. A lot of the people who had transplants were former alcoholics but they obviously had to remain abstinent for a period of time.
    If Dr's thought they could save your aunt with a liver transplant then she would have probably been assessed and then listed. As someone said up there ^^ cirrosis is irreversable as its is actual scarring of the liver.
    As for donating part of your liver, its something that you'd have to think hard about, it's a lot for yourself to go through.