Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

friend and her pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has been on the pill for about a year now. And she says she was told by the nurse to not take breaks and she's got it into her head that it's also an anti-depressant. Is it me or is that totally wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't it mess up your body in some way (not too sure how) if you don't take breaks?

I seriously doubt that the pill is also an anti depressant...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Doesn't it mess up your body in some way (not too sure how) if you don't take breaks?

I seriously doubt that the pill is also an anti depressant...

well she came into school in a mood one day and said she forgot to take her pill and she was depressed because it doubles up as an anti depressant. :eek2: more likely to be the other way round.
  • Options
    Think it can help control your moods because of the change in hormone levels it brings....but isn't an anti depressant as such....think that's right?? :chin:
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Think it can help control your moods because of the change in hormone levels it brings....but isn't an anti depressant as such....think that's right?? :chin:

I'd have thought that was about right. My moods used to be all over the place before I went on the pill, cos it sort of evens out the hormones going around your body I think.

I've been told to take mine back to back... but no longer than 6 times without a break... I don't think it'd do dreadful damage not having breaks... but I wouldn't have thought it'd be very good for you. I'd say maybe suggest she asks her nurse to confirm how she's meant to be taking it... she might have got the wrong end of the stick and should be tri-cycling.
  • Options
    Mine controls my moods by levelling out the hormones, almost ditched the pms completely now. Maybe that's where her misunderstanding came from, or maybe she's a misinformed plonker, or maybe it's bravado...
  • Options
    I was told not to take them back to back for longer than 3 months because it can make you infertile later on...

Also, no they're not anti-depressants.

I have a friend at college who was taking her pill back to back without breaks because she simply didn't read the information leaflet that came with it, that and she "doesn't like having periods" :banghead:

I just wish people were educated before they start messing around with their bodies... :chin:
  • Options
    I just wish people were educated before they start messing around with their bodies... :chin:

:yeees: It amazes me how ignorant some people are about their own bodies and how they mistreat them.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »

Which is probably what Ballerina's friend was talking about, but got the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    I only ran packs together once, but found when i did eventually have my period it was a little worse than regular pill periods. But yes the pms was usually better on the pill, for one thing i wasn't in excruciating pain.
  • Options
    Mine controls my moods by levelling out the hormones, almost ditched the pms completely now. Maybe that's where her misunderstanding came from, or maybe she's a misinformed plonker, or maybe it's bravado...

well this is someone who thinks that schizophrenia is cool :yeees:
    at first i think she was taking it for 3 months back to back but now i think it's all the time. I can't remember what she's on but it starts with a C.
  • Options
    I was told not to take them back to back for longer than 3 months because it can make you infertile later on...

That's crap.
  • Options
    Is it Cerazette?

If it is then things are a little different.
  • Options
    The hormones might make your friend feel a little less tetchy- but I've never heard of the pill being used to treat depression. And to be honest, missing one day (unless its a high dosage pill) is REALLY unlikely to make you feel hormonal or depressed.

From what I understand, you're not advised to run more than 3 packs together as it's not a good idea to not have a period for that long when you're taking the pill. Something about the build up of hormones from not having your usual break.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »

From what I understand, you're not advised to run more than 3 packs together as it's not a good idea to not have a period for that long when you're taking the pill. Something about the build up of hormones from not having your usual break.

Well... I don't want to argue that point too much as I suppose it depends on your pill, but my doctor (and family members who're doctors and nurses) always told me it was fine, there's no medical reason to have breaks on your pill, it's in place more for peace of mind, as some brands of pills (I'm not sure if it's all of the "mini pills" because I've never taken one, but friends have) don't require you to have a break anyway.

Which brings me to my next point... is it possible your friends got mixed up/ you've not understood each other properly and she's on a minipill, which means she wouldn't be taking a break each month anyway as she doesn't need to?

Don't know about the antidepressant thing though, never heard that before....
  • Options
    I think it does depend on your GP as to the advice you get. I know that my GP and family planning clinic give completely advice, which is somewhat worrying. I guess if it isn't printed in the patient information booklets that running packs together is dangerous, then it's probably safe to assume it's ok.