Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tattoo's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

Im planning on getting my first tattoo in a few weeks (as soon as possible really). I have been thinking about it for a long time and always said to myself id wait until i was a certain age and then if i still wanted it i'd go get it (i have now reached that age). Anyway to get to the point, i cant draw but i have found designs/pictures that i imagined the tattoo i want to look like. Hopefully (through looking at websites) most artists should be able to take these pictures and design something to my specifications.

What i really want to know is what sort of questions should i be asking when i go around the tattoo parlours tomorrow, i know about asking about the health certificates, i want to know what sort of design based questions i should be asking.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I'm not at all clued up about tats, but personally the one thing I'd ask about, is their portfolio. It's the one thing that'll show you really how good they are, what their particular style is and if it's the style you want.

Some tat artists are good at a particular style, say old skool tats, and some are better at portraits, so always ask to see samples of their own personal portfolio, not just the work from the general parlour itself.
  • Options
    steer clear of tattooists who just have books with tattoo pictures in for you to choose from yet no photographs of tattoos theyve actually done.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I'd say have a browse in there portfolio or get someone else to design one or you can take one of the internet. Make sure you don't rush in to a design that you may not like 2 months down the line, so think long and hard about it. Usually most tattooists make a transfer of the image and then ink over the transfer, this is good because you can see what it looks like before they ink it.

The bad thing about having one from there portfolio is that it won't be unique to you, other people are likely to have the same, this may not matter to you but i'd prefer something unique. Oh i would scout about for prices because alot of parlours have a tendency to rip you off.

Good luck with what ever you choose :thumb:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Personally I think if you are asking a tattooist to work on a design for you, it is important that you trust them, and get along with them. If they are interpreting your idea to suit your body, you want to make sure you are on the same wavelength. I wouldn't want someone working on my body who wasn't into the idea of my tattoo, but not everyone feels the same way.

It may be worth looking specifically at the websites of the tattooists you are going to visit before you go round and see people, so you have an idea of what you like. Generally (and I mean very generally) you are looking at about £60 per hour in London for your work.

It is worth thinking about things like how heavy you want the outline to be, otherwise your tattooist should be able to ask the questions you need to answer, if they are any good.