Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jobs and chronic illness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a chronic illness which means i am unable to work for up to 7 days a month (but normally 3 or 4 at the most)

It worries me that i might never be able to hold down a job because they'll get pissed off with the amount of days i have to call in sick.

Is a chronic illness a disability? Is there anything i can do? Or is it just a case of discussing it with future employee's. Its a personal and pretty unknown illness, so im not comfortable giving out details to potential employers

Comments

• Options
    Depends what the illness is, or more to the point what adjustments they could make to help you.

Is it something you literally have to stay at home for until you feel right again, or something that you could go into work with as long as you didn't have to move around much and could stay at a desk?

Also depends on the kinda job you want to do and company you want to work for. I think if it was me, working in a office bound job but with project work too and working for the company that I do, I think I would be able to just phone in each time I wasn't well and say I was working from home that day and do some project work that didn't actually require me to be in the office using their systems.

I think it's going to come down to the particular job you go for and the arrangements and attitudes of the company.

Am not sure on the legallities of it all - it's never come up where I work so I've never looked into it.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure about this either... I'm a little scared that when I get more hours with my job that I'll be in the same position as you.

I think the thing is that you have a legitimate reason for not going into work for the times when you can't... so long as your doctor can back that up for you; I don't think they could sack you or anything for it.

Sorry I'm not much help. :yeees:
  • Options
    in my current job you can only have 4 separate instances of illness within your first 12 months of being there. After that if your ill then you don't get paid - though I think you can still claim statutory sick pay (i'm not sure at which point that kicks in though).

ETA - I do however think that cronic illness may well be covered by the disability discrimination act - and you should be able to tell any potential employers about this at your time of application. Depending on what it is your employer could also get money from access to work to make any changes you needed - so say you were to ill to leave the house but could work at home they could get money for a lap top - but I don't know that much about it either....
  • Options
    You dont get paid for the first 4 days of sickness on SSP
  • Options
    When im having a bad day it can involve me randomly throwing up, and i'll be in too much pain to move so i normally need to stay in bed.

Therefore working from home wouldnt be an option, but i'll look into the disability thing, thanks for the replies
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    ETA - I do however think that cronic illness may well be covered by the disability discrimination act - and you should be able to tell any potential employers about this at your time of application. Depending on what it is your employer could also get money from access to work to make any changes you needed - so say you were to ill to leave the house but could work at home they could get money for a lap top - but I don't know that much about it either....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001069

Tells you whats covered and whats not.
  • Options
    I just read that and does this scentence make any sense to y'all

"Some conditions such as a tendency to set fires and hay fever, are specifically excluded."

OK I get the hay fever thing but setting things alight?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I just read that and does this scentence make any sense to y'all

"Some conditions such as a tendency to set fires and hay fever, are specifically excluded."

OK I get the hay fever thing but setting things alight?

I assume they mean being an arsonist isn't a 'disability'.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I think the thing is that you have a legitimate reason for not going into work for the times when you can't... so long as your doctor can back that up for you; I don't think they could sack you or anything for it.

Well I have since read my new hand-book for the job I've just been given and it says they can dismiss you for having too much time off work because of illness... So I guess I'm fucked if my condition gets worse again. Hey ho... I'd just have to go onto incapacity benefit until I was sorted again I supose.

I know it's a worry not knowing if you'll be able to hold down a job Blah... But I think you have to sort of live for the moment and not worry about it too much... you're never going to be completly stuck for money because if you can't work you can get benefits. Finding a sympathetic employer will help... and there are some out there. :)