Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ideas for non-fish sushi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! Want to make sushi next week, nigiri and maki, but one of my friends is allergic to seafood so wants me to make some non fish ones. obviously i can put cucumber on, but does anyone have any ideas as to what else i could do? something interesting :)

Comments

• Options
    Here are a couple different recipes I found... don't know how good they are of course :p

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/feature/dony0400sushi/dony0400sushi2.html

http://www.recipezaar.com/178696

http://vegan28.tripod.com/vegan.html#Sushi

The last one had "suggested fillings" which consisted of

Japanese pickled ginger, peeled cucumber, sliced lengthwise, mushrooms, peppers, pickles, chopped olives, green onions, vegan cheese, or just about any salad type vegetable you like.
  • Options
    you could look at the menu from yo sushi online..they put avocado in one, and there was also asparagus ones..

mmmmmmm sushi
  • Options
    I heard somewhere that Sushi isn't actually the raw fish, it's the rice or something. They just put fish with it. Don't know if it's true.
  • Options
    sushi is rice and seaweed with stuff with it, icluding fish. sashimi is raw fish.
  • Options
    thanks guys, my googling didn't come up with those links you gave me manda but they look great :D
  • Options
    I wanna try this out sometime, is it nice?
  • Options
    On friday i tried to make sushi with basmati rice and no rolling mat. It fell apart.
  • Options
    oopsie...basmati's nowhere near sticky enough!!

Yerascrote have you never tried sushi? it can be sooooooo nice :D
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    I'm a veggie and I've made loads of non-fish sushi. Bit obsessed with it actually. Avocado definitely :yes: also carrot, beetroot, beansprouts, spring onions, peppers, chilli peppers, smoked tofu... Be experimental.

I like toasting sesame seeds to dunk sushi rolls in, too.
  • Options
    yeh i was gonna get some sesame seeds, do they have to be toasted?? that could be fun.. wonder if you can buy them toasted.. that sounds great:) thank you!!
  • Options
    Yerascrote have you never tried sushi? it can be sooooooo nice :D

Lets just say that in the area I grew up in, the local chinese was the height of the whole multicultural food experience.
  • Options
    Ach then you should definitely go try it out :) its the yummiest
  • Options
    I made sushi with shredded chicken, cucumber, spring onion and mayo in at the weekend and it was awesomely tasty :)
  • Options
    in the past I have made Maki with - cucumber, pepper, asparagus, avacado
  • Options
    Bean curd sushi is my favourite kind. Smoked as Kimono suggested sounds fabulous - must try it out sometime :yum: