Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bad stomach pains

Have been getting them on and off for just over a year now. I tend to get them when I'm stressed, run down, etc. Tend to get them about 30 minutes after eating.

Its like really bad indigestion, I really can't explain it. Its not nice though :no:

Not quite sure what they are. My Mum is on medication for IBS so it could but that but I don't know. For a few years I had bulimic tendencies as I used to throw up alot and take laxatives :o I don't do it anymore though and haven't for quite a while.

Could I have damaged my stomach by doing those things?

I want to go to my doctor about it as its beginning to really bug me. I don't want to have to tell him though about what I've done in the past as its embarassing :o I'm really ashamed of how I've behaved in the past. Is it something I should mention though? Is it possible my past actions have made my stomach this way or could it be something as simple as IBS?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    to be honest you've already said that you should do - go to the doctors. and yes of course you should mention what you did in the past otherwise he won't be able to help you.
  • Options
    I know I should go.

I don't know if my past behaviour would have done any damage though. If I don't have to mention my stupid behaviour in the past, I won't as its embarassing.
  • Options
    Apparently when you're stressed you make excess stomach acid. I'm not quite sure if that could cause the pains..

Like you said, worth a trip to the docs!
  • Options
    that can cause pains, yes. it's what i'm on tablets for at the moment.

stacey the only way to find out is to go to your doctors. and the doctor will have heard far worse - you'd be pretty silly not to tell them something which might have made you ill.
  • Options
    could be acid reflux
  • Options
    Acid reflux?

I've never heard of that. It sounds quite likely though as I do get the pains mostly when I'm stressed...:chin:
  • Options
    i keep getting it, and it's after eating - but not all the time. My stomach would churn and rumble for ages afterwards. Wasn't always painful but it was very uncomfortable. I went about it a few weeks ago, because of my stress history they gave me tablets for acid reflux, which helped alot but i'm still getting it so i'm going back to see if they'll run any tests.
  • Options
    omeprazole, ballerina?

i'll have had over 10 weeks on the damn things soon! it's hard to tell whether they help though because sometimes i just get tummy ache anyway.
  • Options
    omeprazole, ballerina?

i'll have had over 10 weeks on the damn things soon! it's hard to tell whether they help though because sometimes i just get tummy ache anyway.

it begins with R....i've always had a sensitive stomach and for as long as i can remember it has sometimes made rumbling noises for no reason, but it suddenly escalated and i'm not even feeling stressed at the moment. But they took one look at my record from when i had really bad anxiety about 2 years ago and figured i was stressed. I'm sure it's something more though.
  • Options
    my tablets are gastro-resistant which is basically acid reflux tablets i believe.

i don't think what we're experiencing is similar though..i get bad stomach ache and nausea. it's sometimes related to when/what i eat but then most of the time not. i also get pains in my back. thankfully having a gastroscopy a week on friday! (is thankfully really the right word?!?). so i hope they find something. :(

and i haven't always had a sensitive stomach - always been the opposite really!
  • Options
    He told me that mine reduce the amount of acid in my stomach. At first it was really bad pain and nausea, but it was usually just a really persistant rumbling and churning after i eat. I think white bread and tuna set it off the most for some reason. But i can eat other bread/pasta and other fish no problem. And it sometimes comes spontaneously.
  • Options
    Go and talk to your doctor about it, it would be worth mentioning what you've taken in the past as it may affect their selection of treatment or give them some clues as to the cause. You should be able to make it clear that it was in the past etc, but you thought it was fair to tell them.
  • Options
    Gastro-resistant just means they wont upset your stomach-doesnt matter what tablets it is or what its for.

Omeprazole,Lansoprazole,Raberprazole,Esomeprazole, they all do acid reflux/heartburn, indigestion/stomach ulcer type things, by reducing the amount of acid produced.
    Another common med for heartburn/indigestion in Ranititdine which is available to buy as Zantac. It works in a different way to the above meds.

The likes of Rennie and Gaviscon just work by forming a layer on top of the stomach acid to prevent it rising up the oesophagus(sp?).

Snow white, its worth checking out. It could be a stomach ulcer which can be caused by stress, and id imagine the strain of bulimia could contribute.