Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back-ups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As in the Friends episode, as in My Best Friend's Wedding, you know, like for when you've hit thirtysomething and you're single but don't want to be so you make plans now to marry each other if you're ever in such a situation.

Well, I had 2 back-ups :D, one's getting married on the 24th so that's out :( (and still have to find a date for said wedding, :banghead: ), and the other one is in a relationship which very much looks like it's gonna end down the aisle as well.

So as you can see, I'm pretty fucked in this respect. Have to find myself another back-up soon... or better yet, a proper relationship.

So, to give this thread a point, do you people have back-ups? At what age/date are you supposed to marry? (We were going to do it at 37).

Comments

• Options
    i dont have any i wouldnt like to be somebodies back up...knowin your always gonna be second best and whats the point in marring a back up cus you obviously dont wanna be with them or else you would already be together
  • Options
    I dont see why people have back-ups either. You either love someone and want to spend your life with them or you dont. Theres no point marrying out of convinience
  • Options
    Never really had a back up, I'd prefer my own company to a 'back up' second best lol
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    I dont see why people have back-ups either. You either love someone and want to spend your life with them or you dont. Theres no point marrying out of convinience

I don't know...think there's something kind of nice about sorting something like this out with a friend you're really fond of, for example...there are different kinds of love, and I think there are worse things than the slow burning friendship kind....

...I have a sort of back up in my head if we're still single when we're maybe 35.....but suppose he's not my official back-up because he doesn't know that's what I've got planned for him!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Nah, don't see the point in back-ups either... I wouldn't be happy marrying someone I wasn't attracted to... it'd just be weird and wrong.

What's wrong with being on your own anyway?

Having back-ups is just a way of admitting you're scared of lonliness... and I would never admit to that. :lol:
  • Options
    Hmm, apparently the tone I wanted to make the thread in didn't come through at all. :chin:

Of course this back-up thing is just for a laugh, I would naver take it seriously. Just wanted to make a daft thread about how my two once 'back-ups' weren't available anymore. I guess this whole subject's been brought up by the fact that my best mate from school is getting married soon, just wanted to put a bit of humour into it, that's all.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    I guess this whole subject's been brought up by the fact that my best mate from school is getting married soon, just wanted to put a bit of humour into it, that's all.

:chin: Aaaaa....humour to mask the pain....oldest trick in the book!! :p
  • Options
    Hmm never really thought about it, I suppose the one person that I would pick as my back-up (if I had one) isn't really practical as he lives in Sydney! :lol: Still, would be nice to have a Ausie toyboy (well, younger than me anyway) for a husband instead of being a lonely spinster in my old age! Plus, he is one of my bestest friends so it would be a laugh. :D
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    :chin: Aaaaa....humour to mask the pain....oldest trick in the book!! :p
    Oh, busted! :lol:
  • Options
    I have a sheet of paper here somewhere by a class collegue, sandra... It says something dd.mm.2013. Can't remember the exact date, but it was 2003 (back in school) and she told me if I showed her that piece of paper 10 years from now, she has to marry me...

would have to look for it, tho... I think she's in a steady rlship for many years now, however.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    would have to look for it, tho... I think she's in a steady rlship for many years now, however.

Still plenty time for that to change, my Alpine friend. You've still got more than halfway to go too ;)

I think things like this are OK for a joke and banter, but girls who've actually got back-ups when they're dating and that? Massive turn off for me, smacks of arrogance to me.
  • Options
    Arrogance? No...just hedging your bets!! :hyper: Think it's OK if you've both talked about it in reality...but yeah...if you just assume someone's going to be waiting around for 10 years on the off chance you'll call on them to marry you, that IS a bit arrogant...
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Arrogance? No...just hedging your bets!! :hyper: Think it's OK if you've both talked about it in reality...but yeah...if you just assume someone's going to be waiting around for 10 years on the off chance you'll call on them to marry you, that IS a bit arrogant...

A fine example of someone starting the post disagreeing with me, but then at the end realising I was right all along ;)

Nah seriously, I think people move on. 10 years is a long long time. It'd be nice if you did end up going back to someone like that though, in a sort of "it was meant to be" way.
  • Options
    when i was 16 a friend said he would marry me if id never had a boyfriend by the time i was 21 (was feeling sad and pathetic as i had never even kissed a guy at that point) unfortunatly i ruined it by having a whole load of boyfriends since then...pity really he was sexy as hell
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    A fine example of someone starting the post disagreeing with me, but then at the end realising I was right all along ;)
    :p

Trust me...do that AAALL the time...like to think it's just a healthy sign I'm happy to take other people's opinions on board!! :D
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote: »
    unfortunatly i ruined it by having a whole load of boyfriends since then...pity really he was sexy as hell
    :lol:
  • Options
    I'm still here :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    I'm still here :)
    Damn right you are! How could I forget? :heart::heart::heart:

Don't worry, we'll end up in each others' arms one day. ;)