Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home Deposit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What sort of amount should I be looking to save for a first home deposit? I'm aiming to try and save 5k this year and buy at the beginning of next year, do you think this will be enough? The average price of a 1 bed flat where I live is about 140k

Thanks peeps :)

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I'd say try to aim for at least 10% or more. My partner and I are looking to buy at the moment (granted it's in London, so prices are a little more insane) but we're putting down around 10 - 15% deposit, otherwise we couldn't afford the repayments.

Have you looked on home.co.uk? It has a timeline of things to think about when buying a house, including one off payments e.g. stamp duty and other things like life insurance etc. I found it pretty useful.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks girls that's really helpful :)

Yeah I will need to buy all the furniture etc too so I know I'm going to be looking a lot of money it's just driving me insane being at home and the thought of moving at the start of next year is keeping me sane at the mo! lol

Think I'll just have to start doing some serious saving then!
  • Options
  • Options
    If you live at home at the moment I'm guessing you don't have a huge amount of overheads, so even though it's horrible while you're doing it, it might be a good idea to focus on your goal and cut out absolutely all non essential spending so that you can bump your deposit up a bit. Short term pain for longer term gain and all that...

Yeah I'm hoping to start doing that. I'm finding it hard though because I'm paying £350 a month for a college course which is killing me! I'm hoping that maybe I can buy a place that is slightly cheaper and is in need of doing up and do things as I go along, we'll see though! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you. You can definitely do it if you're determined enough :)

Thanks, it's really appreciated :D x
  • Options
    Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you. You can definitely do it if you're determined enough :)

:yes:

I've been saving up for the past year, and it's pretty amazing what you can save when you cut back a little and look back on unneccessary spends.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    :yes:

I've been saving up for the past year, and it's pretty amazing what you can save when you cut back a little and look back on unneccessary spends.

Definetly. I've been doing lots of little things but they all make a difference when put together. It's amazing how much making lunches for work at home saves :yes:
  • Options
    Another thing worth knowing is that Halifax do a 97% LTV so you only need 3% which is what I did to pay off some other debt with the money.
  • Options
    Some lenders also provide help with legal costs (Northern Rock provide up to £1000, Abbey up to £500), which is an important consideration. Halifax do offer discounted legal fees with some of their FTB mortgage products, but you have to use their panel solicitor, who aren't the cheapest.

Legal fees would be about £600 + VAT, and then you'd have stamp duty at 1% if the property costs over £125,000 (or £150,000 if the area it is in is classed as a disadvantaged area, e.g. Newham in London).
  • Options
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but another possible useful point:

Stamp duty applies to the entire purchase price of the property. So if you buy a property for £124,999, you pay no stamp duty. Pay £125,000 and you pay 1% stamp duty on the whole £125k = £1250.

As other people have been saying, the bigger the deposit = better. You want to be putting down at least a 10% deposit; taking out a 100% or 95% mortage will require you to pay insurance indemnity payments every month on top of your mortage, which is more expense in the long run.

Finally, be realistic! It's exciting buying a property, but make sure you can afford the property, and all of the costs associated with it (stamp duty, legal fees, furniture, bills, repairs etc.)

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but another possible useful point:

Stamp duty applies to the entire purchase price of the property. So if you buy a property for £124,999, you pay no stamp duty. Pay £125,000 and you pay 1% stamp duty on the whole £125k = £1250.

As other people have been saying, the bigger the deposit = better. You want to be putting down at least a 10% deposit; taking out a 100% or 95% mortage will require you to pay insurance indemnity payments every month on top of your mortage, which is more expense in the long run.

Finally, be realistic! It's exciting buying a property, but make sure you can afford the property, and all of the costs associated with it (stamp duty, legal fees, furniture, bills, repairs etc.)

Good luck :)

Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote: »

That's true yes, just be very careful when buying houses around the SDLT threshold because HMRC do monitor them very closely. Don't be tempted to get the purchase price below the threshold by paying a lot of fixtures and fittings, because that's tax fraud.

That's kind of true, but it depends on the lender. Most lenders when lending high LTV will charge what is known as a "higher lending charge"- we borrowed 95% LTV and had to pay £1,750 higher lending charge, but we were able to add it to the mortgage. You won't have to pay indemnity payments because they charge you for the extra risk they are taking in lending you the money.

You are always best going to an IFA for mortgage advice, but make sure that the IFA doesn't charge, because there are enough IFAs who don't charge. I found that the mortgage advisors that YourMove estate agents employ are very very good, and they found me a fantastic mortgage product.