Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can Muslims have wine gums?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well the title says it all because in Islam alcohol is 'haram' (things you can't have) and I'm wondering if that then means Muslims can't have wine gums.

And what about food that has wine put in it but the alcohol has been cooked off because then there is no alcohol (it makes that big flame).

Interesting thoughts!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Wine gums dont have wine in them.
  • Options
    niteryder wrote: »
    Well the title says it all because in Islam alcohol is 'haram' (things you can't have) and I'm wondering if that then means Muslims can't have wine gums.

And what about food that has wine put in it but the alcohol has been cooked off because then there is no alcohol (it makes that big flame).

Interesting thoughts!

oh that made me laugh so so so so so much

as if you thought wine gums have wine in them :lol:
  • Options
    Actually, given that the benefits office of Dudley council really did ban piggy banks because it might be offensive to muslims, wine gums might be similiarly targeted. Some people really have too much time on their hands...
  • Options
  • Options

Most don't but i think its open to interpretation. They are forbidden to consume things that are intoxicating and alcohl in food isn't.
  • Options
    I know a Muslim who is extremly careful about what her and her family eat, e.g. you'd be surprised of the number of sauces which contain red wine, or Lloyd Grossman even a sauce with vodka in :)
  • Options
    wine gums have geletine in them, from non-halal sources so they cant

in terms of alcohol theres an organisation that decides what is okay, like bread has trace of alcohol in it as its made by fermeting yeast (the carbon dioxide gives it the bubbles and almost all alcohol is evapourated out), and they decide what is haram and what is halal
  • Options
    i would of though they could have wine gums
  • Options

Interesting thoughts!

I suppose butter is made from butterflies? Or Fairy Liquid is made from the juices of real fairies? ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I suppose butter is made from butterflies? Or Fairy Liquid is made from the juices of real fairies? ;)

:thumb:
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    wine gums have geletine in them, from non-halal sources so they cant

Wheresmyplacebo is correct. There may be some wine gums that don't contain gelatine, in which case I would check for other non-halal (impermissible) content. However, as long as there's no mixing of halal (permissible) foods with non-halal then there's no reason why Muslims would find it offensive to have wine gums or any other non-halal food in their vicinity. I certainly don't, and I come from quite a strict Muslim background.
  • Options
    Interesting thoughts!

No, not remotely interesting.

Anyone thick enough to think wine gums have actual wine in them is a fool.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Or Fairy Liquid is made from the juices of real fairies? ;)

Actually, it's their blood :yes: