Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Men's Health Issues - Need to go to a GUM Clinic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Hope people may have some suggestions or something in my story rings a bell (sorry in advance for long post).

I’m in my late 20’s and about 6 weeks ago I went to pee in the morning and noticed the flow of urine was very weak compared to normal. It was coming out at about a quarter of the usual speed and I could barely turn the flow on and off. When normally I could stop and start very easily and also control the speed very well.

I was about to go abroad for a couple of weeks so thought I’d see how things went.
Anyway things got a bit better but still wasn’t a 100%. Not only was my flow weak but when I ejaculated the semen just barely came out of the head of the penis, there wasn’t that usual thing that sends it shooting out as I imagine would be needed to help in reproduction. And my erections were a bit weaker then normal.

As soon as I got back home, I went to the doctors (two weeks ago) and they said to have a urine test, which I got the results back from last week – didn’t see the doctor but the person on reception looked at the results and said nothing unexpected was found, no infection, etc.

I had been drinking lots of cranberry juice until the time they said the results were OK about a week ago but stopped soon after. But now I’m starting to feel a mild soreness in the top of the penis and through the length of the urethra. There is no external signs of anything wrong – no redness, sores, spots, etc Everything looks normal. The soreness is also not constant it comes and goes. And also the flow of urine is strong one day and weaker the next. Sometimes it’s strong in the morning and weaker later on in the day. I work with computers so sitting down a lot all day so wondering if this may have something to do with it?

Also the other night I felt very itchy down below. I read that it could be some kind of fungus so I washed extra carefully from head to toe several times. The itching has gone but the soreness is still there. I’m wondering if the itching could be something foot related because my holiday involved a lot of walking and I ended up with blisters so I touched my feet a lot more then normal and lanced a few blisters and was reading about jock itch being related to Athlete’s Foot. And wondering if I inadvertently touched my feet and transferred some bacteria or fungus to another area around the groin.

Also more lately I’ve noticed the quantity of fluid in the semen is much less then before just a few drops and non of that sticky stuff is in it anymore – it’s more like part cooked egg white in texture. And since I plan to have kids one day this in particular has me worried.

At the moment I’m back on the cranberry juice and I was planning to go to the doctors on Monday but thought I might as well go to a GUM Clinic (Genito-Urinary Medicine) instead as they must have a lot more experience of these kind of things and I’d prefer to see a total stranger then my family doctor. And also I expect they can do a lot more testing there.

So my questions are

a) Any ideas what might be wrong (bare in might I don’t think I have an STD as I’m still a virgin and not even kissed a girl in a year)

b) What happens in a GUM Clinic? Especially to guys? I did some reading online and some websites said men get anal swabs but women do not automatically get them – are they assuming all men are gay even if they say they aren’t (and just don’t want to admit it) or is there some other reason men might get that test – perhaps for some kind of prostate test?

c) Is it better to NOT tell the clinic I’m not sexually active? Reason being I’m wondering if I tell them I’m not they’ll skip a few tests like perhaps a blood test that might indicate what’s wrong? The last time my doctor did a blood test 6 months ago for something else I noticed on their form they have loads of possible tests they could do but they only tick one or two and I’d rather if I have to go to a GUM clinic I go once and get as many things tested as possible so I don’t have to worry later on.

Any other help or advice would be great, bit worried and not told anyone – no one to really talk to about this kind of thing and don’t want to tell my parents unless I actually have something that needs treating.

Comments

• Options
    I've heard some horror storys about the tests they run at GUM centres (stuff poked down the japs eye etc) but in reality I've never experienced anything like that.
    They normally stick their noses up at you for going there in the 1st place which really pisses me off because it puts people off going and puts them at risk of infection but anyway, rant over.
    The only tests they've run on me is a urine test, just pee in a cup and they send it off - if theres a problem they'll call you back in, if not then you wont hear anything.
    No doubt they will ask you if you're sexually active anyway, they wont run certain tests but as you're not active they would be pointless to take. (example, chlamidia test - if you've not had any sexual contact you're not going to have chlamidia are you)
  • Options
    Well I know I'm a woman so it's a bit different but I found the GUM clinic experience fine, they treated me with a lot of respect and the set up was very very discrete etc.

They asked me which of a long list of things I'd done which did seem to affect which tests I was given but to be honest I wouldn't lie to them, just tell them what's wrong and let them take it from there.
  • Options
    Maybe you should go back to you gp.

Have you read any information reguarding the prostate gland? It produces the fluid that carries the sperm and an enlarged prostate can cause difficulties urinating due to it pressing against the tubes.

Im not a professional in any way, i work in a hospital and was reading a leaflet when i was in the urology unit.
  • Options
    LondonGuy wrote: »
    b) What happens in a GUM Clinic? Especially to guys? I did some reading online and some websites said men get anal swabs but women do not automatically get them – are they assuming all men are gay even if they say they aren’t (and just don’t want to admit it) or is there some other reason men might get that test – perhaps for some kind of prostate test?

c) Is it better to NOT tell the clinic I’m not sexually active? Reason being I’m wondering if I tell them I’m not they’ll skip a few tests like perhaps a blood test that might indicate what’s wrong? The last time my doctor did a blood test 6 months ago for something else I noticed on their form they have loads of possible tests they could do but they only tick one or two and I’d rather if I have to go to a GUM clinic I go once and get as many things tested as possible so I don’t have to worry later on.

From my own experience I'd say that it will be just like going to any medical center - if not actually a bit more sympathetic and understanding of how nervous people are.

I've heard anal swabs can be taken but it's never happened to me. A swab from inside the penis isn't that uncomfortable except when there is an infection. However it's just a very quick procedure and is over in no time. Just something to get used to.

The anal test has fuck all to do with being gay (it's not like gay men are the only people involved in bum fun... and anyway it's as you say to do with prostrates)

I'd also say it's never a good idea to try to second guess medical questions - just be honest, but tests can still be done anyway, and probably will be. They'd be unlikely not to do a test just because someone says they are not active anyway.

GPs pay per test, so they aren't going to check you for pink flange turtle coughing if there's no symptoms.

You can of course check out our mp3 about visiting a GUM clinic (right click and save as if your puter doesn't play mp3 straight from links)