Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

scared of the doctors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know this may seem really weird but i am scared of going to the doctors. its a problem at the moment as im ill and really should go but just cant bring myself to-i would rather be ill-i dont really know why this is but i think its connected with my fear of needles

any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Could you even bring yourself to ring the surgery and talk to someone about this? I dunno if they could do anything, but they might have a solution.

Other than that... I'd tell a friend of family member and maybe they'd help you get there and go through with it.
  • Options
    Do you have anyone who could go to the doctors with you? Or, you could ask your practice if your doctor could call you on the telephone or make a house visit. Or try PALS http://www.pals.nhs.uk/ they might be able to help.
  • Options
    They wont just stick a needle into you.
    Its worth going even if you refuse any blood tests, which youre perfectly entitled to do :)
    Hope you get better soon!
  • Options
    Ringing up the surgery is a reallly good idea, you may be able to get a telephone consultation which would be a good start.

Taking a friend/family member along helps a lot of people, even if they only come as far as the waiting room if you don't want them in the consultation.

See if you can get an appointment first thing in the morning, or straight after lunch, hopefully these ones won't be running late so you'll have less opportunity to wind yourself up.

Would you be happier seeing a nurse? That's always an option to start with.

Finally, think of something to do/eat/drink afterwards, good old bribery as a reward for doing it.
  • Options
    cheers for advice

-i know they wont just stick a needle in me but just doctors creep me out
    -weird i know sorry
  • Options
    cheers for advice

-i know they wont just stick a needle in me but just doctors creep me out
    -weird i know sorry

It's not weird at all. :)

Lots of people find it stressful going to see the doctor, even when they know they're not going to be poked about at all... It's just one of those things; so don't feel like you're being silly about it.

And yeah, like Scary Monster suggested... if you get to the doctor arrange something to look forward to afterwards so you can be thinking about that while you're there. :yes:
  • Options
    Just don't ask how many bribes I've got through over the last year while I've been ill, or the problems they have checking my pulse and blood pressure because they go through the roof anytime I get near most doctors....

I really sympathise, but it's never as bad when you get there.
  • Options
    Just don't ask how many bribes I've got through over the last year while I've been ill, or the problems they have checking my pulse and blood pressure because they go through the roof anytime I get near most doctors....

I really sympathise, but it's never as bad when you get there.

Not really related... But you just reminded me of when I went to hospital for a pre-op appointment a couple of years ago... The appointment was on the 7th floor so I had to get there via the lift... I usually avoid lifts like the plague cos I'm claustrophobic... Anyway, when I arrived they took my blood pressure and it was sky-high cos I was still feeling really paniced. :lol: It's funny now, but I was really would up at the time.

Everyone has their weaknesses.
  • Options
    cheers for everything

still not going and not likely to just gonna get on with everything

thanks though

have to find someways to deal with it a later time
  • Options
    cheers for everything

still not going and not likely to just gonna get on with everything

thanks though

have to find someways to deal with it a later time

Well I think it would be better if you didn't put it off until a later time, but I understand it's hard to push yourself to do stuff when you're affraid or whatever sometimes.

Maybe you should see a hypnotherapist or something in preparation for if you really have to go sometime and can't put it off?
  • Options
    yeah i know i shouldnt kind of leave it-got alot of other things im delaing with aswell at the moment-sorry
  • Options
    yeah i know i shouldnt kind of leave it-got alot of other things im delaing with aswell at the moment-sorry

Hey, you don't have to apologise. I know it's tough. :)
  • Options
    i think this time as well im scared of what there going to tell me if i go because i think i might be pregnant and ive split from the guy who i was with -really scared bout that as well

sorry
  • Options
    I'm quite scared of going to the doctor's too.
  • Options
    nice to know im not totally on my own-how do you cope with it?
  • Options
    i think this time as well im scared of what there going to tell me if i go because i think i might be pregnant and ive split from the guy who i was with -really scared bout that as well

sorry

Aww hun *hugs*

Have you done a home test?
  • Options
    i did but it was quite soon after and was negative but still nothin and been sick quite alot and a few other things aswell making me think that

sorry
  • Options
    nice to know im not totally on my own-how do you cope with it?

Ur... badly.

I wait as long as possible until I'm so unwell/ infected/ whatever that I have to go, get really anxious, use really bad coping techniques that aren't really coping techniques that actually just make things worse.
  • Options
    You just have to remember that the doctors are there to help you.
    I dont normally bother going either though not out of any fear mind i'm just lazy and hope problems go away by themselves.
    You'll be fine when you get there :thumb:
  • Options
    It's a completely reasonable phobia.

I'm scared shitless of doctors,
    or rather what they will tell me.

The only advice I can give you is

find a doctor and stick with them.
    It's the only way to foster trust.
    I found a GP that really impressed me.
    Professionally, personally, politically and emotionally.
    Find a doc you click with and keep goin back.
    It might one day diminish your fears.