Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phone Boxes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Interesting read - phone boxes that have been used less then 3 times in a year..

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=299022007

So when was the last time you actually used a public phone?

I know for me it must be many years now, and whenever it was it was either at the airport or abroad .. so how long / how often do you use a public phone now?

Comments

• Options
    Ages ago.
  • Options
    I sometimes use one if I've run out of credit, need to make a call and am nowhere near a shop that sells top up. Even then i think ive only used a phone box once in about the last 3 years
  • Options
    Last time I used a public phone must be about 7 years ago....
  • Options
    The last time i used a phonebox i was about 12 or 13.

It used to be 10p minimum didn't it? That was bad enough but 40p! They just swallow money.
  • Options
    Haven't used one for years. Can't even remember when it was.
  • Options
    Phone boxes are handy for lots of things though, even if payphones aren't anymore :)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Phone boxes are handy for lots of things though, even if payphones aren't anymore :)

Why's that you got your Business Cards on display in them .. lol :thumb:
  • Options
    well, it's a long story, when I was on the london airport, without cash, without my cellphone, and with a seemingly invalid ticket. They made a mistake and couldn't find me in that booking list and I did not have the print-out with me, just my name and flight number, and I thought everything was going swell...

well, that was a hell of a day, sweated blood, let me tell you. I used the payphone which swallowed my remaining coins quicker then 10 sex hotlines combined, to call up the girl I was with.

In the end I had to blindly find back to her place, nearly got lost, arrived after a few hours and....

oh payphones.. well last year on stansted airport.

what a fucking day...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I still use them from time to time.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I used one last night, and do quite regularly really :thumb:

My love affair with mobile phones is well and truly over.
  • Options
    Almost had to use one the other day at the station when i was delayed and ran out of credit. But my bf rang me when he twigged on why i wasn't replying to his texts. Other than that i can't remember the last time. Think i was 10 or something.
  • Options
    Can't remember!
  • Options
    Oooo, years ago!

Still think they're important though, not everyone has mobile phones.
  • Options
    i cant even rember it must be years ago now
  • Options
    There is a phone box opposite my house and I use it a few times a month. As it's 40p for 20 minutes, it's cheaper for me to call my family on it than use my mobile.

40p is still a rip off mind!
  • Options
    Very rarely. The last time I can remember using one is abroad last summer, so that doesn't really count. And even then I used my mobile more often than not.

I think I might have used one when my mobile died completely, and I was stranded. That was just before I got a contract phone because I couldn't afford a new one, so it's about 18 months ago.
  • Options
    Was probably about 6 or 7 years ago. If you've got a contract phone there's almost no need ever. Unless your phone died, but then these days I don't know anyones number so the phone box still wouldn't be any help!
  • Options
    All the time, I hardly ever put money in my mobile.

I hope they don't go.
  • Options
    I used to live in phone boxes when I was 16/17.

I didn't actually live somewhere with a fixed phoneline so I used to ring my friends for 20p and they'd return the call :razz:
  • Options
    I'm quite sure I've never used one.

No no, I take that back. I think I used a pay phone in the mall once or twice when friends would go to the movie when we were like 12 and our parents had to pick us up.

Thoush I don't think I was ever the one to actually use it...
  • Options
    i last used them last year when i was up north in n.i cause with mobiles it ate up your credit you got 15minutes for the 20 or 30p wihch is cheap to somone who uses the euro
  • Options
    Not for a while maybe 4 or 5 years ago- I would've been 13/14, the last time was when four of my friends and myself squeezed into one, and rang a few friends. It must've looked a little weird come ot think of it.
  • Options
    Not very often for proper calls-I called someone and asked them to bring my mobile in for me when I left it at home a while ago. That, and when I was waiting for my BT line to be connected I used them to spend ages on hold on the phone to BT to sort it out, as it cost a fortune on my mobile.
  • Options
    I havent used one for years. I have had contract mobiles since I was 18, so I never run out of credit or anything.
  • Options
    all the time until i got a contract a couple of months ago!
  • Options
    From time to time when i don't have money in my phone or none of my mates do.

Their handy and there's no way they could get rid of them, there's also the fact that alot of the elderly use them as well.
  • Options
    The last time I used a public phone I was making prank phonecalls to directory enquiries when I was about... erm 9 years old.... :no:
  • Options
    No idea, I've had a mobile for years. Probably once or twice a year nowdays when my battery dies and I need to ring home when out and about.
  • Options
    I really can't remember - before I got a mobile I think. (Which is about 6 years now)