Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BT Broadband!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I signed up to BT Broadband last week and my home hub arrived yesterday. I set it all up but I have no connection - the 'broadband' and 'internet' lights don't come on, other than when all the lights flash when I power it up.

I called BT's "excellent" tech support in India who told me the line needs to be activated and could take til 8pm (no-one told me this!) so I should wait til then.

As predicted, 8pm came and went, no connection. I called them again and was told it might take til 10pm. I waited, guess what - no connection. I called them again - this time they told me it could be midnight. Bugger this I thought, I'm off to bed.

At 7pm this morning, still nothing. I called the Indians again who told me the line was not activated and could take up to 10 days. I hung up on him and called back - and this time I was told it was due to be activated today and "I-am-sorry-sir-I-do-not-know-why-you-were-told-it-would-be-on-today-but-if-you-give-me-2-minutes-I-will-look-in-to-it-thank-you-please" so I was put on hold, 8 minutes later I hung up and called them again.

This time "Raj" told me it is being looked in to and someone would call me back on tuesday. When I told him this was unacceptable as I was told it would be on by yesterday, he hung up.

I rang straight back and was told I had to call the billing department. Oh nice. I called them, they said it was nothing to do with them and was put back through to tech support. And this time they decided to expand on their script by telling me I needed to call sales. Who put me back through to tech support.

I called AGAIN and got through to someone who claimed to be a manager who said it might be an issue between my home and the exchange and the engineers will call be back in 2 hours (which turned out to be an hour ago).

I now don't trust anything those idiots tell me, none of them have bothered to check my system is wired up correctly, at the moment I have one cable going in to a micro filter, another going in to my ethernet port and the other is the power cable - is this right?

Comments

• Options
    BT is pretty good boradband but their tech support is shit, they always tell me "it's a problem with your router" unless I got an English person and then they troubleshoot with me.

I think it does take up 10 days for BB to be activated on your line, so I'd wait.

As far as set up, I'm not sure what you get with the Home Hub gear but you'll need your phone line cable coming from the router or modem (what ever you got) and then in to the micro filter and then the micro filter goes in to the wall. The Ethernet cable goes from your router/modem in to your computer.
  • Options
    Im laughing cos i have been through it all before. BT are a nightmare!

:thumb:
  • Options
    BT are the shittest shits in the world of shits
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Damn, thats good to know information because it have to change provider soon and i was considering BT, its put me off a bit, plus i don't want to ahve to wait 10 days for it to be activated.
  • Options
    "It may take up to ten days" <--- from the time you order, if you are given an activation date the line should go live between 8am and 6pm.

Admittedtly occasionally there can be delays but they should have been able to check thier system and tell you 1)why it was delayed and 2)the new correct activation date, and 3) you should ensure you do not get billed until the line gets activated.

4) It is possible the line has been activated but the work wasnt done properly in which case you'd need to get a fault logged with them.

I have to deal with this all the bloody time as I work for an ISP and dealing with BT faults is a bloody nightmare!
  • Options
    "at the moment I have one cable going in to a micro filter" - By this I presume that you mean a splitter - in that your cable from your home hub is plugged into the part of the splitter that says "ADSL" on it or similar. If it's just a filter, then you shouldn't be putting the filter between your socket and your hub - the filters are for phones.
  • Options
    I live in a small flat and there's only one phone point. In to that is plugged the filter which arrived with the BT equipment. from the filter is 2 sockets, one for my phone and the other connects straight to the modem.
  • Options
    I live in a small flat and there's only one phone point. In to that is plugged the filter which arrived with the BT equipment. from the filter is 2 sockets, one for my phone and the other connects straight to the modem.

Right. I have a feeling you may have it wired up with the hub downstream from a filter, which will never work, as your ADSL signal is filtered out.

Can you try plugging the hub in directly into the master socket without any filter and see if you get the DSL light then? If you do, then you just need to sort the wiring.

(As further clarification, if your sockets are set up like this

MASTER - FILTER - ADSL Side ( nothing plugged in)
    -- PHONE Side (your extension plugged in) - EXTENSION - your hub

Then it wont work.
  • Options
    Ah right, it's not quite like that. I can't plug the hub straight in to the master socket as it's a different type of plug - the plug on the end of the hub cable is similar in size to an ethernet cable plug, not a normal phone socket plug.
  • Options
    Ah right, it's not quite like that. I can't plug the hub straight in to the master socket as it's a different type of plug - the plug on the end of the hub cable is similar in size to an ethernet cable plug, not a normal phone socket plug.

Okay.

So downstairs in the master socket what is plugged in there? Is the extension plugged directly in to the master socket? (The answer should be yes, if not, make it so).
  • Options
    There's only one socket in my flat with no extension plugged in - it's set up like this:

Master socket>>>>ADSL filter. The filter has 2 sockets, one goes straight to the phone line and the other straight to the hub, there's nothing else in-line.
  • Options
    There's only one socket in my flat with no extension plugged in - it's set up like this:

Master socket>>>>ADSL filter. The filter has 2 sockets, one goes straight to the phone line and the other straight to the hub, there's nothing else in-line.

Ahh I think I read it wrongly before.

That sounds ok. You could try plugging the hub directly into the master socket if you have a suitable cable, but the liklihood of the filter being duff is slim I expect.

Sounds like you may just have to wait. What was the expected activation date?
  • Options
    They told me it would be yesterday - 8pm at the latest. Now they're telling me they need to send an engineer to the exchange which will be tuesday (or as tech support called it, "twesday") at the earliest.

Anyone know how much compo BT give out for each day of lost service? I'm not the type who's after something for nothing but I feel I deserve some kind of sweetner after being given the runaround by their tech support.