Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Consumer law - bad sandwich

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just bought a sandwich from Boots for my lunch and then walked back to the office to eat it.

Noticed that the edges of the bread are hard, the way bread goes when it's nearly gone off. I am absolutely famished so I still ate it, but not impressed as it cost £2.20 and wasn't even nice with that crusty bread.

Can I still complain even though I ate it? My colleague says I should have taken it back before finishing it, but it's quite a long way, the queues are massive and I was starving!

Do I have any rights?

Comments

• Options
    Its £2.20, the world isnt perfect..just forget about it.
    You could always write to boots and complain, they will probably just send you some complimentary vouchers.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Its £2.20, the world isnt perfect..just forget about it.
    You could always write to boots and complain, they will probably just send you some complimentary vouchers.

Or offer you Advantage Card points... they're big on those.
  • Options
    oh i hate it when that happens! to be honest i wouldn't bother - just don't buy from there again. i always buy my sandwiches from bakers then i know they're fresh and haven't been there a few days. they also tend to be cheaper. :)
  • Options
    I wanted a boots meal deal, I wouldn't usually buy a sandwich from there.

I don't have an advantage card (gets annoying when they ask me if I have one every single time I buy something there!)

I don't really believe in putting up with bad things, whether it's "only £2.20" or not! I expect better from a big company like Boots. Sometimes it is a lot of hassle to complain though.
  • Options
    i should think you can get the same price deal at a bakery or something. :)

it's the same with supermarket sandwiches. i'm fussy about where i get my sandwiches from haha. but i love them so want a good sandwich!
  • Options
    i should think you can get the same price deal at a bakery or something. :)

it's the same with supermarket sandwiches. i'm fussy about where i get my sandwiches from haha. but i love them so want a good sandwich!

I've never seen that deal at a bakery, and Boots has a good choice of stuff especially healthy stuff for their meal deals. And sushi! I have been put off a bit now though!
  • Options
    i didn't mean a deal at a bakery (though i'm sure some do them) - what i mean is you can probably pick up a sandwich for about £1.50, a bottle of water and something else. okay so many for around the same price. you can always bring your own drink from home. :)

mmm sandwiches.
  • Options
    i always buy my sandwiches from bakers then i know they're fresh and haven't been there a few days.

The fresh food (i.e. the sandwiches/pasta/wraps etc) is stocked up daily as it is, the coolers tend to be bought out by the end of the day anyway in a lot of stores.

You could complain to them, but chances are you'll just get a voucher, if you don't have an advantage card to give you points.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »

I don't really believe in putting up with bad things, whether it's "only £2.20" or not! I expect better from a big company like Boots. Sometimes it is a lot of hassle to complain though.

with all due respect you ate it, it cant have been THAT bad! :confused:

someone was complaining about a meal while i was in the pub the other week and they were still eating it as they were complaining to the manager!

you could try complaining though, although as someone said, i dont think you'll get very far as you have no proof that it was bad as you ate it

let us know what u do and how u get on :thumb: :D
  • Options
    If it was me, id go back there and tell them. Not in a really confrontational way, and explain that you ate most of it, or you ate it anyway as you didnt have anything else to eat and there were large queues, but that you werent impressed and thought you should at least let them know because they may have other stale sandwiches on the shelf that need to be taken off.
    I may even mention that I usually like their sandwhiches, but this has put me off.

Thats what id say to them anyway.
  • Options
    or email them, and they'll never know whether you ate it or not!
  • Options
    It depends what you want from this situation. If you were bothered about your lunch being ruined I would have taken it back so I could have enjoyed my lunch, there's usually someone on the shop floor you can ask. Or I'd buy something elsewhere and take it back later for a refund.

If you feel like you deserve some kind of compensation for being gievn shoddy goods then I would have kept at least some of the sandwich to take back. Or you can email and they'll probably give you vouchers to shut you up!

If you want to make sure it doesn't happen again you could inform the staff in the shop although they probably won't do a lot about it anyway!

It sounds like a one off to me, boots sarnies aren't usually bad. You always have the right to complain if you didn't like the service a company provided, whether you get anything from it is a different matter
  • Options
    I had a really bad experience somewhere last week.

I wrote a nasty complaint but they still haven't got back to me. You'd think that they'd at least apologise.
  • Options
    Run in waving a empty packet screaming about your crusty sandwhich, then demand all the money out of the till. It worked for Me.
  • Options
    Usually with the big companies if you go back and are polite about it they will give you a voucher for a couple of quid just to reimburse you. It isn't a big deal for either you or them, and a free sarnie satisfies most people.

As you've eaten it you'd have a hard job proving it wasn't fit for the purpose, or out of date, which is the only legal reason why they'd have to refund you.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    which is the only legal reason why they'd have to refund you.

Boots are bastards when it comes to refunds, trust me. You'd have more luck getting blood out of a stone than money out their till.
  • Options
    I had a really bad experience somewhere last week.

I wrote a nasty complaint but they still haven't got back to me. You'd think that they'd at least apologise.

Depends who got your complaint...

If it was a nasty cold shower at our swimming pool I saw one of the duty managers scan the comments forms at the end of the day, then chuck them all in the bin, so no one will be getting an apology.
  • Options
    I find they often are hard unless you buy them early in the day and eat them fast.

The sandwiches are there for conveiniance and not really for quality. I agree tho I think they push it close to the edge when choosing the use by dates. The dates allow shops to keep them for 2 days or more usually after been stocked.