Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

toooo much stress!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm getting so stressed i now have:

stress related exzema
stress releted IBS
stress related sight problems
loss and gain of appetite
flu like symptoms
and a lowered immune system...and this is just what has been confermed by the doctor.

now, she can't do any more for me than refer me to a psycotherapist, but what else can i do myself to help me feel like i'm not going to colapse from exhaustion...

i have been trying to use essential oils, but i'm not a trained aromatherapist... and i'm finding it so difficult to relax...HELP!

Comments

• Options
    lavender oil - it's expensive but its so strong you only need a tiny bit at a time. Rub some onto a lamp bulb and switch it on. Try a few drops in a bath too or on your pillow.
    When i was stressed i got put on beta-blockers, but that was because i was getting panic attacks - calmed me down alot though.
  • Options
    beta blockers i would not even be prescribed... i have been using lavender oil, but i was thinking if there is anything else like that or anything i can do that might de-stress me...
  • Options
    Lemon, Lavendar, Chamomile, and Clary Sage oils are all good for stress related problems.

Alternatively this website might be of help if you're looking for aroma-related help.
  • Options
    It depends on why you are stressed really.

If it is something you cannot control too well (like job pressure, relatives, etc) some exercise might help 'sweat you out' and reset the stress levels somewhat.

Some people need to pull themselves out for a part of the day, do something calming like take a long walk outdoors. I have a lake I sometimes go around and think things through or something totally different.

Stress is something that builds up and ends up damaging your body, so the best way to help fight it is to find a release for it. Maybe you could try something like squash, I find it quite fun to hammer the ball into the wall. ;)

There are also certain surroundings that make it impossible for me to get stressed in. For example when I'm around horses that are feeding. There is something about that scenario that makes me very content.
  • Options
    Bachs rescue remedy is good for individual stressful situations, but im not sure about general anxiety, as it sounds like thats what you have.
    Maybe homeop[athy might be a good one to try. I think Nat Mur is a good one for stress, but it might be worth looking it up on the net or even better - seeing a proper homeopath or reading a homeopathy book

There are also herbal supplements which work for stress such as L phenylalanie or 5htp
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi twisted trinity,

I'm sorry to hear your situation. I understand you are feeling upset, we all have moments when we feel stressed, it's normal, but when it builds up we need to learn how to deal with it. Take a deep breath and chill out with TheSite.org’s guide on coping with stress. Try to think positively, it can turn you back onto the path of happiness and healthiness.

Make yourself feel comfortable and relax. You could try some exercise to help you feel both energised and relaxed. Yoga and Tai Chi are good ones which will reduce stress as well as relaxing the muscles. Eat a healthy diet, do not take too much salt, sugar, alcohol nor caffeine. Regulate your sleeping hours and get enough sleep. It’s worth speaking to the psycotherapist your doctor has referred you to, and I’m sure it definitely will help. If you want some prefessional advice on reducing stress you could talk to the International Stress Management Association (ISMA) on 0700 078 0430.

Hope it helps! =)
  • Options
    smoke some green.:D on an alternative note i find writing a journal, writing everything that is stressing helps ease the weight on your mind, lots of chilled music and baths.
  • Options
    smoke some green.:D

:no:
  • Options
    have you been given anything for the IBS?
  • Options
    Yoga or other forms of exercise.

My mom started a meditation class a while ago. Shes a workaholic stress ball :p but she says she really enjoys it and it has helped alot. And much easier to accomplish things than attempting it on your own.
  • Options
    I have the same problems. Beta blockers help a lot. it can take a bit to get the dosage right, too much can make u feel all tired n shit.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    It depends on why you are stressed really.
    Sorry to hear your feeling so stressed at the moment, I definately agree with the statement above, if you can remove yourself from a stressful situation so much the better. It sounds like you are stuck in a bit of a loop at the moment with the stress making you ill, and the illnesses making you feel more stressed and so on.

Eating healthily and exercising can help for sure, do nice things like a special bath with some really nice bath products, perhaps you could go to a local salon and have a massage and if you are short of cash, a local college might have a training salon for its students, so you can get lovely treatments for a lot less. Try writing things down as well, nothing worse than trying to get to sleep and just having tons of awful thoughts swirling round your mind, just write it down and get it out of your system.

Also...I know this sounds a little nutty but hey ho...when I am feeling stressed because of situations and people and kinda feel powerless, I act out what I want to say to them but at home on my own! Its some thing my councellor showed me and I find it really useful in just releasing anxieties and frustrations.

I think doing some deep breathing exercises every day could make you feel calmer as well.
  • Options
    well, for starters, i'm 17 supporting myself and thus living on my own, working and going to college, i have post traumatic stress disorder, which i haven't been correctly treated for...and i'm living in not the best situation...i have so many things going round my head!

and because of my age, i can't be refered to the mental health service, but CFCS(child and family consultation service) can only help me for a short period of time. And they keep cancelling my initial appointment as well so i can't even get on the ladder!

and BTW i take buscopan and mebeverine for my IBS and use emolient cream for my exzema, which doesn't seem to be helping...
  • Options
    Have you tried going to CAMHS? (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service) You can go to them until you're 18 if you're in full time education.
  • Options
    my borough doesn't have one...NHS cut backs, it CFCS until you're 18 or most likely 17 1/2
  • Options
    You're at college aren't you? They probably have something similar. (or at least counselling)
  • Options
    no, ridiculously, they only have a counciling service is only available for over 19's i REALY don't understand that!
  • Options
    no, ridiculously, they only have a counciling service is only available for over 19's i REALY don't understand that!

wtf?!

Go to a doctor and talk.
  • Options
    I can't remember where in London you live but if you can get yourself to Kentish Town the Brandon Centre could help ( www.brandon-centre.org.uk ), they aren't catchment area specific and are for under 21s for up to two years of once weekly cousilling or pyschotherapy (but they have a long waiting list).

There might be a similar service closer to where you live.
  • Options
    i have talked to my doctor and the CFCS is all she can do.