Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

White socks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, talking in one of my classes about visiting and visitors and differences and all that of other cultures, one girl mentioned how white socks and sneakers being an american thing. If you (well me and a couple others, really) were walking down the street over by most of you and we had on some plain white sports socks, you would know/assume we were american.

Yay?Nay?Dumb as a brick?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    When I went to US I saw so many old blokes walking around with trainers and white socks pulled right up. Had to laugh. :lol:

White socks used to considered a gay thing here in the UK, but I think that's almost disapeared. White socks with shoes is a big :no: though.

A lot of pople will buy training socks or tuck over normal socks when they're wearing shorts so it looks like they're no wearing any at all. I'm one of them cos I think socks look shite when you wearing shorts, but if I don't wear socks at all my feet stink.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Never really wore white socks only when i was younger when your mum picked your clothes and that, was always seen as a gay thing but as skive said that seems to have disappeared.

Wouldn't really see it as american tbh.
  • Options
    I wouldn't think of it as American, but I do still class it as being totally wrong and would never wear white socks myself.
  • Options
    would probably assume you were foreign if you were walking around in shorts with white socks pulled right up, but not necessarily american :)

it's just not done. (unless you're actually doing something sporting)
  • Options
    Interesting. I never knew. Especially the gay part.

So what do you wear for foot covers then?

Though surely you must at least wear them to work out?

I'm all intrigued now.
  • Options
    black socks :p

I think any socks are allowed if you're working out, but others have no excuse hehe.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    White socks is all I wear. And trainers too (my current ones are white).
  • Options
    I wear any colour socks! I have pink, grey, argyle, blue, black, strippy, all sorts really, just not white!
  • Options
    I have white trainer socks and white thigh high socks. I think white socks and black shoes looks kinda cool on the right person though.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Interesting. I never knew. Especially the gay part.

So what do you wear for foot covers then?

Though surely you must at least wear them to work out?

I'm all intrigued now.

black,grey,dark blue,etc but not white socks.
  • Options
    I can tell when someone is an american tourist a mile off. They're usually obese or they're normal sized but wear mingin jeans or shorts with white socks and trainers
  • Options
    They do it in Australia too. Men of a certain age wear white socks with sandals..but generally you see americans because they're a more common species of tourist :)

I think they just do it because socks stop your feet from being manky and sweaty and when they are on holiday its too warm to wear trousers, and as they are generally of a more mature age they aren't really bothered about being cool/not looking "gay" or whatever. =]
  • Options
    If I'm wearing shorts with trainers, I wear trainer-socks.

If I'm wearing trousers I wear any type of sock cos you can't see them.

I don't own any white socks though.
  • Options
    I'm a black socks kinda guy but I can be partial to the odd pair of stripey socks if the colours arent too bold.
    With shorts i either dont bother wearing any socks or i'll just wear trainer socks that you cant see (outside the shoe)