Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

multi room freeview +aerial signals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Evening all,

Today we had some fella around to look at our aerial because we've been getting a crappy signal recently, and having trouble picking up freeview channels, and he says the main problem is the neighbours chimney stack (their house is a fair bit bigger than ours anyway) but the aerial could also do with being replaced (something i'm willing to believe, on the old standard TV mode the signal has been progressively getting worse for a year or so)

Anyway, we said since we're having a new aerial we might as well get connections fed to each of the bedrooms at the same time, but he said that he cannot do this because it would affect the signal to the main box downstairs...

How likely is this? from what i've read up if you use a splitter then it will slightly reduce the signal strength, but if done properly it should be barely noticeable. (I thought another possibility would be to run another cable from the aerial itself?)

I spoke to my girlfriends dad who put his new aerial up and has 3 boxes running off it without any problems and he says the bloke is probably just too lazy to go to the hassle of having to feed them around the exterior of the house, but i don't know, with us being in the shadow of the neighbours house perhaps he's right...

What would you guys suggest? should we insist that he feeds them to the bedroom anyway, and risk him being right and us not getting a decent signal through the house at all?

Comments

• Options
    Although I'm no electrician, surely you could amplify or 'boost' the signal anyway?
  • Options
    Why not try a signal booster?
    The only example i can find is this kind:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Digital_TV_Signal_Booster_36576/Digital_TV_Signal_Booster_36576.htm

But we have like another aerial fixed to the side of house that gives us a really clear/strong picture/sound
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Why not try a signal booster?
    The only example i can find is this kind:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Digital_TV_Signal_Booster_36576/Digital_TV_Signal_Booster_36576.htm

But we have like another aerial fixed to the side of house that gives us a really clear/strong picture/sound

We're already using signal boosters at the moment.

I would of thought that having the aerial moved to a slightly better location, and having it replaced with a spanking new "digital aerial" would more than compensate for any loss in signal due to having it split, and then like you say if needs be stick a booster on the end if needs be.

But apparently when he was asked earlier he pretty much just dismissed the idea straight away, so i was wondering if there was more to it than i was giving credit for!
  • Options
    In our student house, we has our ariel replaced with a brand spanking new digital one.

However as there was four of us wanting to use digital tv, we had to purchase a booster (like the one in link, only it was half the price from Argos) in order to all recieve digital.

:D
  • Options
    I'm hoping you can get a portable ariel that will give digital, in case next year I don't have it in my room..
  • Options
    So long as you have a decent signal to start with, and the combined cable length involved wouldn't be too long, then you could use a splitter / booster at some point and pipe the signal to multiple rooms. I don't see why your cable guy is not willing to do it for you.

However, you would need a box in each room. The splitter (normally) goes in front of the main box.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    So long as you have a decent signal to start with, and the combined cable length involved wouldn't be too long, then you could use a splitter / booster at some point and pipe the signal to multiple rooms. I don't see why your cable guy is not willing to do it for you.

However, you would need a box in each room. The splitter (normally) goes in front of the main box.

Yeah where i work we stock a wide range of boosters, splitters etc... so getting them wouldn't cost me too much, i already have a booster in my bedroom so i can get some freeview channels in my room with a portable aerial.

He's coming around today to do the aerial, so i've left a note empahsising that we wish to have it split into the bedrooms too and pointed out i dont understand that after forking out for a new digital aerial,and having it aligned properly, the benefits would be lost by merely having it split to more than one room!

Thinking about it i wish i had stayed at home to see him today, if we're spending all that money for something that's not going to significantly improve the signal so that it could compensate the loss of having it split, something must be wrong!

I think he's just bone idle! Why go to the trouble of splitting off cables, drilling through walls and feeding them through for an extra £20 or so, when you can run up a ladder replace an aerial in an hour and earn 5 times that?!

I'll see if he's done it when i get in tonight then if needs be take my girlfriends dad up on his offer of him splitting it off for me.

Thanks for the replies people...

And to shyboy, you shouldn't have too much of a problem, even in not the greatest signal strength area, and having what is beginning to sound like my neighbours lead lined super imposing house towering next to me, i can still get some freeview channels with a portable aerial in my bedroom, i've had to try a few different aerial / booster combinations, but now i can get about a 1/3 of the channels, then if i move the aerial into another position about another 1/3 of them, luckily the better ones!