Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

insane appetite and the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last 6 weeks or so, I've been an eating machine. I've put this down to switching back to the pill about 8 weeks ago, even though it's never had this effect on me before (been on it for 7ish years previously before going on to the patch for 2 years). I've put on nearly a stone since Christmas, and I just can't stop eating. And I don't just mean that I'm a bit more peckish than I was, I mean that most of the time I'm desperately, insatiably hungry. To the point where I once ate sugar cubes straight out of the box, cause the cuboards were bare other than them, and I was just SO hungry I couldn't stop myself.

The weight gain doesn't really bother me, cause I need it (even with the extra, I'm still a little underweight), but this feeling of constantly being ravenous is awful. At the moment I'm eating 4 big meals a day, but 5 minutes after one, I'm hungry again. This is really unlike me, and I hate it. Not to mention that I can't afford my food bills!

Has anyone else had this, and if so, will it pass in time, or does pill switching help? Or is this a bit extreme to be caused by the pill, and should I have a chat with my doctor in case something else is going on? Any experiences/ideas?

Comments

• Options
    If you're concerned you should speak to your doctor.

Also, What is this pill? I could do with it! lol
  • Options
    As its coincided with you going back on the pill, then its probably that, that is causing the change in appetite. Are you taking the same pill you were taking before? One of friends couldn't stop eating when she went on the pill and she had to get it changed eventually. I think it mentions changes in appetite as a side effect in some pill leaflets.I'd go and see your Dr and see what they say as it might just be a case of changing your pill,hope you get it sorted. :)
  • Options
    I think the suggestion that you have an eating disorder is a bit over the top, especially as there is another likely cause!

I'd go back to wherever you got your pill from and check with them. It sounds odd that you've been on it before with no problems but I've found when I've gone back to it I've had completely different side effects to the last time.

x
  • Options
    Kaffrin it sounds like it is to do with the pill. It may be the change in going from the patch to the pill has made it even worse because the dose of hormones will be different and also the type of progesterone might be different too. Maybe go have a chat with your doctor it f it concerns you. When I went to my doctor to change my pill we went through all the different types and doses and she told me how it would affect me. I think I do get hungrier on the pill I'm on now although I've always had a healthy appetite. The plus points of this pill far out weigh that though so I'm just going to do more exercise.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    No offence, but wtf?!
    My thoughts too :eek2:
  • Options
    Hmm, and ours, we'll be speaking to Sophie
  • Options
    Hey... to make you feel better, I am going through exactly the same thing at the moment but for me it is because my thyroid has just gone over-active!

I am naturally slim so like you, a couple of pounds won't make much difference however the constant hunger is a really annoying feeling!

My best suggestion to you would be go back to your doctor to discuss a change in pill and maybe tests for thyroid problems... also make sure you have plenty of healthy food in the house, I am going through loads of fruit each day with my snacking but it makes me feel better that at least I am trying to put good stuff inside me instead of bad!

On top of that, if you are eating bad stuff to combat your hunger it will slow your body down and make you feel very ill!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    In the meantime, how about stock up on something like celery, that takes ages to chew so should slow you down a bit, and isn't going to do you any harm.

Another thing to remember is that if you're eating continually it's not great for your teeth as there is constantly stuff attacking the surface so make sure you give them a good brush and rinse with mouthwash (ideally use toothpaste and mouthwash with fluorine) to help.
  • Options
    I had the same problem when i went on the pill, but after the third month it got better. If your eating as much as you say you are (and its a crazy amount) then i agree with the others, pop down to the doctors and see what they say :)
  • Options
    Its probably a bit of a vicious cycle too because if you keep eating more then you stretch your stomach and feel like you need to eat more anyway. Maybe try limiting what you eat to more normal amounts and see if your appetite decreases.
  • Options
    My thoughts too :eek2:

Did i miss something!?

Are you on the same pill as what you were taking before? When i first started on the pill it did make me hungrier but not quite as bad as what your describing! I think it's supposed to be 3 months in which it takes for your body to settle down and get used to the pill your on and if you are still getting symptoms after that then it's time for a change.
    But if you can't go on like this (and it must suck because feeling hungry all the time is like the worst feeling ever :() maybe pop in and see the doctor and see what they think .
  • Options
    1andonly wrote: »
    Are you taking the same pill you were taking before?

Yup, that's why I find it odd! I've been on and off it twice before, and it never affected me like this at all. Although I guess bodies aren't machines, so you never know.

I've been spun the line about 'give it 3 months for symptoms to die down' before, I just want to know if they actually do, cause I'd be willing to ride them out if I thought they'd get better soon.

I think you may all be right, I'll pop down the docs and ask his advice (if I don't eat him first :( )

Thanks, all! :)
  • Options
    Have you tried ignoring the hunger feelings and seeing how long you can go? Because sometimes i find i get really hungry for a couple of hours or so but if don't get a chance to eat anything it sort of goes away and then i'm good untill my next meal time.
  • Options
    Check it out with doctor, even if you have been on it before it might not react the same way this time. Just try and eat as healthy as you can until it gets sorted out, as mentioned before, if your eating healthy stuff its a lot better then stuffing your face with junk.
  • Options
    Is it just the pill that's changed, or have you come off the various immuno-suppressants that you were on before?

Any drastic change in diet is enough to be paying a visit to the doctor, just to see what's going on. It may well be nothing to worry about, especially with the drugs you were on before and your previous eating history.
  • Options
    Just the pill recently! Have been off everything else other than bogstandard (ha!) IBS drugs for about a year (due mainly to the Leeds Teaching Hospitals being a bunch of incompetents, but that's a story for another day), and this started about 2 weeks after the pill switching, so I'm fairly convinced it's the culprit. However, if I go for a chat with my lovely GP, I'm sure I can pick his brains about other possibilities, and then chat about pill swapping if he agrees that is the cause.

Now just to begin the epic task of booking an appointment (best GP in the practice = mega long wait)...
  • Options
    If you go talk to the doctor about it could you please post what he said/advised because I'm a bit concerned about my appetite! I changed my pill 2 months ago.
  • Options
    I'm going this afternoon so will let you know what he says :)
  • Options
    I have nothing to add other than I am constantly hungry (without ever having been on the pill) and its horrible - I hate it so much - so I am just showing massive sympathy.

I've only just eaten breakfast and I feel I could eat loads more - arrghghghghghg. Best of Luck.....
  • Options
    Lipsy: the doc said that he would want to have been 6 months on the new pill before switching me over. Mainly because if my appetite was already affected, titting about with different types of oestrogen all the time (maybe not his exact words ;) ) might have the opposite effect that the one I was going for. And he said it was very unlikely that side effects would carry on past about 4 or 5 months of taking it, so should just be a case of persevering.

He also said that weight gain on the pill almost always happens in the first few months, but then people don't ever lose it, so sooner or later my eating urges should return to normal, and as long as I eat a reasonable diet, should be able to lose any of the extra weight then. Although in my situation I'd quite like to keep it.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Yeah it did thatnks :) I'm just gona persevere and try not to give in to my hunger!
  • Options
    I've gained weight on the pill and never managed to shift it. :banghead: Half a stone on the first then another half on the other.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've gained weight on the pill and never managed to shift it. :banghead: Half a stone on the first then another half on the other.

I have as well (about a stone in two years), plus having POCS makes it an absolute bitch to lose.