Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HPV and cervical cancer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend's ex had genital warts. They always used a condom when they had sex, and they didn't do it until her warts had gone. A few months ago he developed about 3 very small red dots on his glans, however they disappeared in a couple of days and didn't turn white. That was about 6 months after he last had sex with her. There haven't been any symptoms since the spots.

He also had a test for STIs recently, but the doctor said they could only test for HPV if there were visible warts. He also said HPV could only be passed on from warts.

I recently had a smear test and they said it detected abnormal cells. This could be caused by HPV infection or cervical cancer. However they said I'd have to wait 3 months before having another test to see if anything has changed. I have also been bleeding between periods, and I'm on the pill.

Should I be worried?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, you shouldn't be worried. You should be proud of yourself for attending your smear appointment as otherwise these cells wouldn't have been detected!

Abnormal cells are quite common in young ladies... quite often it is their bodies changing and growing that cause the cells to differ from the norm. Quite often these cells settle down by themselves, which is why they would have booked you in for a check-up in three months (also if they were worried about you they would see you much sooner than three months).

If they don't settle down, it is still nothing to worry about as abnormal cells are a very very early sign of possible complications - it can take up to 10 years for abnormal cells to turn into anything more worrying... that is why smear tests are so important, they are there to prevent cervical cancer as abnormal cells can be spotted and treated before they turn into anything serious.

You are having a completely natural reaction to the news though, I really feel they don't explain things well enough in these kind of situations.

*hugs

Splodgey
    x